Dumaguete Info Search

Americans may need secure visa before entering the philippines

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Dec 27, 2019.

1. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    First time I've been called that.....lol. I always recommend against reading minds. I never said (or thought) any of that. I'm just looking at that averages, because as you say specifics will vary. I completely agree with your last statement, however if given then choice between $10 and $1000, I'll take the $100o as I'm sure you would too. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well, three thoughts
    first is i think its great to have a filipino here with back and forth on important topics, cudos to all
    second, as an American living here, i am embarrassed by my countries tendency to stick its official nose in other countries business when we have so many of our own problems at home
    third, a very large part of the Philippine economy is dependent on tourists, resident expats and overseas foreign workers. anything to relax visa requirements to enter the Philippines is in their own best interest. the Phils is already "penny wise and pound foolish" when it comes to visa requirements and practices.
    i will add that most if not all expats live here because they like it here better than where they came from. i find the Pinoy to be a very agreeable peoples to mix with, if you exclude a large portion of the leadership. same as in the US

3. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I do not believe the USG cares one way or the other if the Philippines requires tourist visas prior to arrival. Most Americans do not care either, except for the relatively small number with Philippine spouses, or who like scuba diving and the like. Americans do not come here for opportunities to earn money; indeed I am sure they spend more than they earn. And, with the exception of balikbayan privilege which I assume would be revoked under this proposal, long term residents already require a visa; 13a, 13g, SRRV or SIRV or quota immigrant visa. Essentially it mostly affects tourists who come here for less than a month and boost the hospitality industry. I think the US should not be involved in Philippine affairs, however, I too believe in reciprocation IF that is what the Filipino people want. The only reason not to be reciprocal is that the country would make tourism easy for Americans as a source of fire exchange; but if the people consider pride to be more important than hard currency in USD, by all means they should enact the visa requirement. It would probably have a positive impact on long term residents by the likely effect of making the dollar more valuable given the reduction in supply. We Americans should stay out of Philippine internal affairs but some of our politicians cannot resist the temptation. But imposing a visa requirement will do nothing to change that behavior. Most Americans, liberal or conservative, simply don’t care because they are not impacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    Yes - and I like them equally.

5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    I did this very badly :arghh:

My Duck à l'orange has turned out so wrong. I should have gone for pork with apple sauce.