Dumaguete Info Search

An "El Gecko Bar" in Dumaguete?

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Wildlands1, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Wildlands1

Wildlands1 DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +133 / 27
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Guys, if you've never been to Aussie Billy's "El Gecko" bar in Cebu it's worth a look. Super fun business idea for us foreign guys, located on Mango St. a few blocks SE of the girlie bars and 3 blocks NW of Mango Park Hotel (rec'd). Its basically a foreign dude bar with more waitresses than men, no bikini dancing, but some girls are "available" after closing (not that I would partake, heaven forbid, I'm too cheap). Many nites live cover bands doing 80's-90's R&R. Billy and his wife are looking for space in Dgte to open a branch, and I think it would be a welcome competitor to the Why Not. Check it out and hope he finds a location near the boardwalk for us.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Billy didn't start that bar in Cebu, he improved and built on it, but he did not start it from scratch. He purchased it from an expat living in Dumaguete that goes by the name of the bar. Many bars have tried to simulate that atmosphere in Dumaguete but all have failed. Cebu and Dumaguete have a different expat "scene". I don't know how he stays in business with more "waitresses" than customers on most nights but good on him for figuring it out.....then again, knowing many of the girls that work there (many coming from the old Pussycats girly bar) I would guess they are paid well below the minimum wage and it is left up to the girls to figure out how pay their rent :wink:. Personally, I think expats get enough of a bad rep in Dumaguete as it is, a bar like that would do nothing to better that reputation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I don't think Whynot gets enough expat business to bother with a competitor. The strength of Whynot has always been that it gets enough of a mixed crowd that it fills up pretty nice. Aside from that it has been around for a long time and it's on the Boulevard and catches the tourists.

4. LENNY

LENNY DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +166 / 17
    Went to new bar last nite The Verve...Nothing happening did not like the music

5. OP
    OP
    Wildlands1

Wildlands1 DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +133 / 27
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Well, I dunno, I'm a newbie round here but it just seemed like a fun place. From what i learned its optional if the girls want to enhance their incomes after their shift, tho not all do that, and there is no bar fining before closing, so the bar escapes certain "fee's" associated with the girlie bar types. The 2 times I've been in there its been packed, one thurs eve at 6ish, and last nite from 9-12. A german dude said Alona also needs one of this sort. BTW I have no financial interest in either the bar or this hotel. d*mn its good to be back, beats the hell out of Montana nitelife any time!

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    In Cebu? Dumaguete? Where is it located? Never heard of that one.
    Alona Beach could probably support a bar like that. Dumaguete is not really known for its nightlife the same as Cebu, Manila, Angeles, Olongapo, Panglao, etc. (Though Dumaguete probably has a better nightlife than anywhere in Montana. :wink:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Contraman

Contraman DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Strange set up here,
    El-Geck0 owner Aussie Bill, Most often can be seen drinking at Yankee Mikes "Time Out" Bar ???????

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    In his defense, El-Gecko does get really old really fast. I wouldn't want to drink there on a nightly basis either. :wink:

9. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    I would rather not see Dumaguete go down this road. This type of bar breeds misery and the type of misfortune that we recently bore witness to. As ex-pats we need to be mindful that this is a deeply conservative nation desperately struggling to modernise without the resources we would otherwise enjoy from our domiciles. Viz, a generally straight law enforcement structure, social welfare programmes, child protection and so forth. This type of bar thrives on the vulnerable and the desperate to make ends meet for extended family back in the provinces. Most filipinas working in this type of bar would not be able to return to their villages for shame if they were found out. They are at risk of disease, abuse, drugs et infintum.

I know that one can never ever properly eradicate the oldest profession in the world. Too many times I have ambled down the boulevard on my way to Cocos, Pasta King etc to be met with a "hello sir, how are you? Where are you going?" from someone barely out of high school -if they have been lucky enough to attend for a semester! The roots of this type of bar lie in ex pats'/tourists willingness to take advantage of. We know it ain't right, it demeans the life we came here for. I am not a killjoy, I like a beer just like the next man. But I do have my moral compass set firmly in my head and not in my pants - particularly here in a poverty stricken nation where it is a real grind to make ends meet for 99% of nationals.

Cuss me for sanctimony if you please. My job during the Iraq thing was advising Jordanian authorities on the borders with Iraq on a child protection/women's safety policy for refugees - poverty breeds this type of exploitation. Nope, I don't want to see this in Dumaguete.

Cheers all,

C

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Family_Guy

Family_Guy DI Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 3
    Bill did not purchase it from a guy in Dumaguete. It was sold many years before and had 3 previous owners before Bill came on the scene......

• Informative Informative x 3