Dumaguete Info Search

KEY Thread Annulment of marriage in the philippines soon to be made easier

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    This posting was rated 'disagree' and it would surely be useful for the person who rated it to tell us what he/she disagrees with. I for one would be very keen to know.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The church must be worried that divorce will be legalized that is why it's trying make annulment more financially attractive.:bs:

"One major reason for lack of divorce in the Philippines is the availability of annulments. "

How Much Do Annulments Cost In The Philippines?

“It is so difficult, challenging (and) demanding such that more couples are not getting married at all and content themselves with cohabitation and illegitimate children,” he added.

No divorce + no same-sex marriage = no altar date

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    I heard of cases costing up to 500k and even more PHP (one case mentioned up to 70k US$) and up to 7 years till the annulment is done. But it depend on the situation. I had once a similar case where my wanted girl was only separated. Approximate costs for this annulment case being around 50k US$ and 7 years. Another case where the husband was treating his wife very badly was annulled quite cheap and very fast also. I guess she was able to proof that her husband was turning insane after marriage. And that he was hiding his insanity before marriage.

The meaning of these are that annulment is dependable on the case and have an extremely widespread of cost and duration of the process.

The disagree was put because of the costs and duration mentioned there are not the cost and duration maximum someone can experience. With the rest I do agree.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  4. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    Just pointing out so there's no confusion, the original post/link was about Roman Catholic CHURCH annulment, while most of the discussion has been about CIVIL annulment. Even in the Philippines, they are two separate processes. Securing the former won't invalidate the marriage in the eyes of the law or free the person to remarry. However, there is an opinion from the Philippines Supreme Court that says, "Interpretations given by the National Appellate Matrimonial Tribunal of the Catholic Church in the Philippines, while not controlling or decisive, should be given great respect by our courts." So getting a church annulment should in theory help getting a civil annulment, but doesn't guarantee it.

• Informative Informative x 8
  5. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    But isn't it "required" by the courts?

6. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    My attorney says no. Church annulment would definitely help but is not required.
    Two separate things, but as Redhorse's post says, "Interpretations given by the National Appellate Matrimonial Tribunal of the Catholic Church in the Philippines, while not controlling or decisive, should be given great respect by our courts."

• Informative Informative x 5
  7. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    No, my understanding the same as Plainspoken who summed it up nicely. But without the RC Church annulment, any new marriage wouldn't be valid in the eyes of the Church, if that was a concern.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    Just wanted to add since he might be a good resource, there's a fellow from the US (Chicago area) living near Bacolod, Bill, who Vlogs on YouTube under the name "Lanhawk59". He's posted on and off about the civil annulment process his long-term GF has been going through, and coincidentally, just posted a couple of days ago that it had been approved.

A few key points summarizing his last post on the topic: took slightly more than three years for approval, estimated cost 180,000 pesos (of which about 150k was upfront to the lawyer), involved paying psychologist to testify in court, lots of misc. fees and filings, the foreigner (him) was advised to lay low/not be involved in the process, and - AFTER the approval decree from the judge there's a lot of running around to various govt. agencies to get records updated. His Youtube page has links to his Facebook, etc. Don't know him personally but if I make it up to Bacolod would like to visit the little resto he and the GF/future wife operate.

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Good information, and as Dr. Shiva pointed out, the costs and times are all over the place. My gf's lawyer is charging 150k which included the psychologist' fee and he has testified. It was 50k up front, 50k more when psychologist testified and final 50k upon completion. All court costs and fees were included in the 150k total. I was promised two years to complete and I offered a bonus for completion in less than two years. We will see how long it actually takes. Also, I talked to many attorneys and 150k is commonly quoted but is also the lowest quote. All others were higher.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    As a side note, a disagree shouldn't be viewed as a negative. In terms of ratings, it's neutral, on the same level as "funny" or "not funny". It's a rating which probably should be more liberally. If it were more regularly used, then perhaps it would also become more useful and accepted.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1