Dumaguete Info Search

KEY Thread Annulment of marriage in the philippines soon to be made easier

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Oct 1, 2016.

1. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    True IF the one filing for divorce is a foreigner, which is not the case being discussed. Not only is a foreigner not filing, both are Philippine citizens.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My apologies, didn't read the entire thread.

Find a country (a country that has divorce.....which is all of them except the Philippines) that citizenship is easy to obtain, become a citizen of said country and then file for divorce?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    please keep us posted in this 7 days visa, as near as i can tell, no such thing exists. sounds like a scam to me

4. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Sounds like a scam to me too but I am pursuing it and will find out. We will see. I have investigated divorce in Mexico, Dominican Republic, Haiti, and a few more, so far, no cigar.
    I am only posting my experience trying to give others information that may interest them. My "endless round and round", quest is an attempt to get past the ridiculous waiting period for an annulment. I would like for my fiance to enjoy the US for a little while before I get too old to show it to her. Any and all additional information is appreciated.
    I have been told by people that I think are reliable, that a foreign, mostly Hong Kong, divorce has been used in the manner I describe to get a K-1 Fiance Visa. I am investigating Guam because the residency is 7 days rather than 3 months in HK.
    I can only parrot what I have been told by visa experts and attorneys, my brother being one of the attorneys consulted. A foreign divorce is not recognized by the Philippines if both are Filipino. It only matters to the US Embassy if the Philippine citizen is "free to marry" in the US. Any divorce that is recognized in the US satisfies this requirement. Either the Filipino/a could not return or would have to allow the annulment to be granted and then return. The wedding would have to be repeated in the Philippines in order to show the PH citizen as married as far as the PH is concerned. This has been done more than once according to a few visa experts. (Attorneys and individuals providing visa services)
    In Guam the divorce is not granted without the absent party's knowledge. The absent party has to sign a form agreeing to the divorce and, if applicable, any settlement details. This form has to be notarized at the US Embassy.
    As far as Philippine paperwork obstacles, the only one I have been informed of is obtaining the CFO stamp in the passport. They, supposedly, must provide the stamp base only on the fact that the citizen attended the class. They sometimes ask for proof of marital status, I forget the acronym, but they cannot deny the stamp based on status. (Yes, I realize this is the Philippines)
    Lastly, We have been waiting for some time already and may well have to wait for the "proper way" of annulment if this Guam thing is a scam.

5. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Plainspoken

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    This was posted by a law office and it gave a very complete description of the process.
    They said
    "Based on the cases we have handled in Cebu City, if it is an uncontested case, meaning the other party will not oppose your petition for nullity of marriage, it will take an average of a year or more for a decision to be rendered." AND "In Cebu, if not contested, the estimate is around P120,000 to P150,000."

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Plainspoken,
    Please keep in mind the following:
    1. Individuals or companies providing "visa services" can maybe make your paperwork a little easier (in the sense that they'll assist you with acquiring forms and filling in those forms), but that's it. Nobody but the applicant can file the visa request and nobody but the embassy decides whether you get a visum or not. Anyone claiming they have a backdoor entry at the embassy and can "get things done for you" is lying.
    2. Residency is not the same as "visiting a country for a limited period on a tourist visum". If indeed formal residency is a requirement to get a divorce somewhere, then you better find out about the requirements to get "resident status".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Plainspoken

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Thank you for your advice, it is well received and I will take it.

• Like Like x 2