Dumaguete Info Search

Another Malaysia Plane Down

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Rye83, Jul 18, 2014.

1. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    Well in reflection , now that it has been pointed out that the rebels are "irregular combatants" , and the victims are civilians in a war zone , lets not use international norms such the Geneva rules as a comparison to expected behaviour , these guy's are exempt from that , my mistake

Unless this whole disgraceful episode in human history can now be deemed as an act of terrorism , I suppose the rebels "irregular combatants" , could claim it was an accident , but then by looting the belongings / possessions of the innocent victims
    their credibility is worthless , It is just a simple scenario now , the terrorists shot the plane down , then went and looted it , but let's not be too hard on them , because they come from a poor area (#80 on the list). The amount of time it took them to allow the proper authorities access to the crash site , was also a disgrace , no reasoning can excuse the absolute deplorable behaviour and actions of these people , even if the initial shooting down of the aircraft was an accident , everything that followed on behalf of these rebels was a terrible example of what they are , reprehensible

Where they may be exempt from the Geneva rules , they are not exempt from the laws of common human decency
    And also the laws of the International Criminal Court , 27th International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent in 1999, requires that all the parties to an armed conflict ensure that “strict orders are given to prevent all serious violations of international humanitarian law, including … looting”.

Tony

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    AH! now, here lies a Problem!

To meter out any justice, we would have to do, what the Regular Military can't seem to and that is to, Find them. Easy to say I know but if they could or would have been found, this sort of thing, would never have Happened in the first place.
    Civil War is the Worst War, You just do not know, who is who.

JP

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I never said I agree with it...I just understand how humans can reach that mindset to where they would loot corpses. You over-simplify a complex situation. Nobody even REALLY knows if it was rebels, civilians or the Ukrainian military who did the "looting". The lines are so blurred that I wouldn't doubt it was all of the above. It is not black and white. I also never said how I thought they should be dealt with.

Minus the war on terrorism, how the US has historically dealt with "irregular combatants" would be my preferred method of dealing with them. FYI: The last time the US dealt with this was in WWII at the Battle of the Bulge, where German soldiers dressed up in American uniforms to fight. In getting out of their uniforms they instantly became irregular combatants, labeled as spies and then promptly shot by firing squad.

(I personally believe this is how every single "combatant" who has fired a shot at a US, Coalition or Partner Nation soldier and is not wearing a uniform should be dealt with. No more whining about their treatment at Guantanamo if I were in charge....they'd never live long enough to make it there. If they want to be treated like soldiers they better throw on a uniform.)

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082

AND be Honest enough, for it to be, the one, whose Country, They, are Fighting For. Then we would start, to know Who is Who

Anything other than this, is sheer Terrorism and 5th Columnism

JP:mad:

5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    :confused: You alright? I don't quite follow.

6. oztony

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    I am done .

7. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    I am Fine,

To wear the uniform, of any other Country other than your own or those that you Follow, in Warfare, is an act Of
    Cowardice and will render you a Spy! Punishable by death, usually a firing Squad. No trial, and normally done in the field.

8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think you are implying I over-simplified why the crash site was being looted?

9. oztony

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    To an extent , yes

I just thought the reasoning for it had tones of justification attached to it for the rebels , from their perspective if you like , where as to me , nothing can justify it , poverty or not , I usually enjoy reading your posts , because of the uninhibited honesty that you attaché to it , but this one I had problems with , but still respect the fact that we all have a different take on things .

Regards Tony

10. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    This situation is extraordinary, the "rebels" that were Ukrainians/Russians until the "revolution" and now they are "outlaws" in the Country they or their parents migrated to, that in the past was a part of the Soviet Union, one can be sure that they are very much on edge in that they are surrounded by "enemies", so this incident for sure got them running around headless...
    I don't want to justify anything about the behaviour of the ones involved in the loothing because we don't know how much is really true about what we are being told...