Dumaguete Info Search

Health & Wellness Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Notmyrealname, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Just one of the best replies ever here! Give yourself a trophy point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Oh it’s the bash a Doc thread is it? Moves on....

3. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I hope the MANY caring and competent doctors, who save so many lives, don't read this nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    "Made"? As in shoved down his throat? Or perhaps 'advised' he needed them?

5. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It is bigger on the inside :smile:

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    #2 Best Answer
    When a doctor prescribes antibiotics, it is based on his best guess with regard to the (bacterial) infection that the patient has.
    And yes, if they don't work (because the bacteria is a different strain or resistant against some antibiotics and therefore a different type of antibiotics needs to be applied) then the doctor will prescribe a different type of antibiotics afterward.
    The problem is that finding out which bacteria cause the problem and whether it is a resistant strain before prescribing antibiotics involves two things:
    1. (quite a bit of) time (for the laboratory stuff) and
    2. (quite a bit of) money
    A doctor can not see from the outside of a patient what bacteria causes a problem and whether that bacteria is resistant against antibiotics a, b or c, he's a doctor, not a magician.
    So blaming the doctor for "wrong diagnose" in such cases is a bunch of rubbish.

The doctor (and a reasonable patient also) will choose to treat the patient with the best option that will likely work, rather than send the patient to a laboratory first, then wait for the result while the patient gets sicker, make the patient pay for the laboratory stuff and only then prescribe an antibiotic that has a better chance of working.

If you wish to educate yourself about the problems with antibiotics, this would be a good start: https://www.idsociety.org/globalass...ibiotic-resistance-infographic-2016-final.pdf

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Quite often a doctor will have the cause of infection checked before diagnosis and so knows which antibiotic to use. This happened to me, as related in another recent post, after a 6 month UTI I ignored - the outcome was that I had a very rare form of E.coli and needed a specific antibiotic (the only one available to kill that bacterium).

The methodology is quite simple and should not be that costly (although I have no actual figures) - it involves putting the patient's sample onto agar within a Petri dish, dropping on a paper with radiating discs, each impregnated with a different antibiotic and seeing if a clear ring forms around any antibiotic(s). The clear ring shows that the bacteria is being killed, or prevented from growing, by that antibiotic. That is how it used to be done - but nowadays I don't know if they have a faster and cheaper method. They would also identify the bacterium - that used to be done by gram staining and microscopic examination but I guess it is more sophisticated now.

The technique has links with the discovery of the first antibiotic (penicillin) as a Petri dish of bacteria got contaminated with a fungus and clear rings formed around the fungus where it had killed off the bacteria (or stopped their growth). That fungus was Penicillium rubens. Well before that discovery, some people used fungi to treat wounds - so they knew it worked, but not why.

I suspect many know that story, so apologies for boring you - it has to be better than reading misleading information, but not as rewarding as reading @Rye83 post! Brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That's what the wife keeps saying to me.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Your nephew was pregnant and treated with antibiotics?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Same here. (Intentionally ambiguous). :smile:

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.