Dumaguete Info Search

Any business success stories in negros

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by oztony, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I tell you what, this has really opened my eyes... :(

I had plans to try and contact the Owners of the Land Papa built his house on, as it strikes me as being VERY SUSPICIOUS!

Papa sold his Farm and moved closer to Dumaguete for work, he could only afford a small patch of land to build his house on, his house is in the middle of a plot, right on the banks of a dry river,

I had asked about planting a garden to grow our own foods
    Reply; "Not allowed as the land outside the house belongs to the owner" :confused:
    I asked; "How much Land outside the house belongs to Papa?"
    Reply; "Only the Land the house sits on"
    I asked; "What about a Path to get in and out, an easement, land outside the Doors?"
    Reply; "No. no and no, only the land the House sits on belongs to Papa"
    I asked; "What if I want to build a Patio/roof outside our door so we can open the door when it rains?"
    Reply; "You can't that land is not ours"
    I asked; "What if I planted Fruit Trees around the House?"
    Reply; "Then it would belong to our neighbours because that is not our land"
    I asked; "Where is the Owner so I might speak to them regards this, as well as maybe buying the patch of land between the house and the Highway so Papa has a 'Right of Way' as well as some Land to grow food on?"
    Reply; "America" :(

I am smelling a R.A.T. :(

I am still thinking of asking to see if I can buy a small patch around the House as well as the Land between the House and the Highway, but how the hell would this be done? Legally and legitimately? Is that even possible when there is so much, ahmmm? "Mismanagement going on?" :( :confused:

2. OP
    OP
    oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    Brian , my wifes family live in an enclave called Talisay Village , accessed from the main highway via a 2.4 metre wide track , for hundreds of years they have used this access , everyone there is related . About 6 years ago , uncle Proxy who lives in the first house , which the land butts to the hwy decided that after all this time that now the access was to be restricted , and he moved his fence out so that the access was now only 1 meter wide , the tricycles , vans, cars could no longer pass to get to their homes .

Over the years I had often taken Bundaberg rum with me when I went there to share with uncle Proxy , but what uncle Proxy had noticed is that there were 3 foreigners married to women from that village , so now it was his turn to collect money for an access that had been there for hundreds of years . And his demand for this access was P40,000. Even though it was all of his relatives that were suffering from this he did not care , he just wanted the money .

I refused to pay a single peso to this prick , and I never spoke to him again . Eventually a rich Filipino relative paid the ransom , and the people again had proper access to their properties . Time passed and uncle Proxy built a new fence and put a nice gate in that opened onto to access area he had sold for him and his immediate household members to access in and out of their property . Members from the village went to his house and told him he was not welcome to use the land that he had sold to them to access his property , he was then forced to create another access from the main hwy , spanning over a massive council water easement to get in and out of his property . Uncle Proxy died a few years ago and no-one from the village attended his house or funeral , greed and selfishness does have a price , and that price is collected in many different ways.

Right of way can be one of the biggest problems involving land ownership in the Philippines , and I would never purchase anything that would make me vulnerable to the whims and treachery of others , no matter all the promises at the time and guarantees etc. especially if it is a foreigner involved somewhere , through marriage or whatever , it will come to haunt at some stage .

3. Ten Twenty Lenny

Ten Twenty Lenny DI Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 3
    In the """right location""" a """neighborhood"" with some business there..... a small market will make big :greedy:

4. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Well it depends on How well your business mentality is... Ive been here 2 years, had many successful companies in the US in my earlier days. Ive made only one attempt to start a business here and that one here is exploding to the point that im actually limiting it because it would cause to much stress for me. Not to mention the fact I'm a "pensioner" and still conducting US business online when Im bored. I will not state the name, location or type of business for obvious purposes, but my word of advice is "Stay behind the scenes" If you have a wife, keep her in the front day-day operations, run it tight (computerized, not all manual entry like everyone else does), and keep track of EVERYTHING..inventory, gross sales, net profit after cost, etc. Make sure you have a healthy profit margin and consider all overhead costs (realized, and unrealized, ie: gasoline to drive to pick up wholesale supplies, etc).. Know the people in your locations surroundings, and become acquainted and friendly towards them (Not necessarily friends as they will ask for "Credit" or attempt to start a "balance" at your place and you can guess how that plays out...) - Also become friends with any officials that have power to help/break your business, a few pisos here and there to give them free items (if youre running a store) here and there goes a long way, but not on a daily basis... take it for what its worth..play smart, this is not the market you want to play in if you havent been here awhile to understand how business plays out...

5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Could have been worse I suppose. You could have bought it. :wink:

6. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    theres a much better way to buy title/land then the obvious 2.5% of sale way... trust me on this. will not disclose here

7. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That is what worries me Tony, Papa bought his land and it was witnessed and he holds 'a' Deed Title to "just the dirt that the house sits on, NOTHING outside of his Doors"... That just does NOT sound right to me. :(

There are 5x neighbours whose property he must cut through to reach his. Now word is "Foreigner live there... Let's talk about Right of Way compensation"... I haven't even managed to get back yet! :(

I have noticed when I was in the Tricycle cutting through the track where they ride their Scooters, they are all like Meerkats stretching to have a look, I thought it was just curiosity, but I am beginning to smell something bad in the not so distant air already. :(

8. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Just get a helicopter. That will show them.

9. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    PMSL!! :D And I was just watching "Grunt Stuff" on Youtube of Marines blowing the snot out of mussies too, you might just have something there, sidestep the Suzuki Carry Van for an Apache Helicopter, ALL problems solved at the press of a button! :D LOL

10. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Since you don't own the land outside the house, you might have to build a helipad on top of the house though.

I wouldn't use Apache weapons to solve the problems. That's not enough punishment. Chickens and karaoke are annoying, but that's nothing compared to the WHAP, WHAP, WHAP of helicopter blades.

If you are going military, then it would probably be best to tear the house down and park a Chinook in it's place. You could live out of a Chinook for sure, those things are very roomy. The twin blades give you plenty of "line space" for hanging your laundry.

Of course, that then opens you up to the "living in a Chinook down by the river!" jokes.