Dumaguete Info Search

Any events or gatherings held for Expats?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Angela, May 29, 2012.

1. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    No, usually too busy walking my dogs, planting my gardens/land, swimming in my pool, running after my wife, riding my bike, etc., to do that sort of foolishness:wink:

2. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Please be advised that when attempting to walk at the above mentioned walking/running track that it is hovered over at times by the "walking the wrong way'" poliswoman.

Now here's how our lovely 5:00 a.m. walk went the other morning at the convention center oval track.

Please bear in mind there are NO events going on there, just mostly friendly walkers and a few joggers for the most part enjoying themselves.

We were greeted in the usual very friendly, polite, smiling face and bubbly personality of the lady at the desk that takes the P10 each for the privelege of walking/running/ dancing/exercising/ on the walking/running track. God bless you whoever you are mam.

As usual we pay our fee and with the nice lady's permission she tells us it is o.k. to walk in the opposite direction after my asawa explained the this woman of rare common sense that always going in the one counter clock-wise direction all left turns is, number one bad on your muscles, tendons, and so on to continuously day after day make only left turns. It will also wear out your shoes on one side only, plus it is boring. So, off we go having a lovely time walking clock-wise , all right turns, for 45 minutes not bothering a sole until the almighty, arrogant, pompous walking polis lady (?) one of the in-charge persons ( so she claimed) starts literally "YELLING" at us from up on the steps. "YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY, QUIT THAT, YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY" ! I thought there must be an accident somewhere or something she was in such a panic.

So we stop our despicable act of walking "the wrong way" and walk up to the MOUTH and my asawa tries to get a word in that we were given "permission" to walk clock-wise. "BY WHO !" Still yelling. Nicely my asawa tells this in-charge that the lady at the desk gave us "permission". Oh the in-charge was furious to say the least. I asked her to wait just a minute, most people here cannot even drive on the right( correct) side of the road where people can be killed or injured and you are berating us for "walking the wrong way". Again she yells, "THOSE ARE THE RULES" I am a member here ! Oh la de dah. My asawa told her we paid to get in also. I left as I am not going to be in the middle of a cat fight. I politely thanked the great still smiling lady at the desk for being so helpful and kind and proceeded to our vehicle. Meanwhile my asawa stayed in the "ring" with the monster from the deep walking poliswoman in-charge trying to get her to listen to some common sense. Ah, to no avail. I am still feeling so guilty of breaking the " rule" which by the way is not posted anywhere as my asawa told her also. No signs on the entrance to the track indicating one way.

Oh the humanity of it all, we are fortunate I guess that we were not arrested by the walking polis lady(?) or caned. We do apologize to all the people on the track or in the area for causing such a stir. We deeply regret our transgression. We are now considering therapy to conform to the robotic narrow mindedness that appears to prevail at this public facility. Again we do apologize.

Mr. Mayor or Mr. Governor if you should read this please promote the gracious lady that takes the money at the desk to be the head in-charge person. Not only does she posess a rare quality of common sense, and the ability to think "out-side the box", but she has always gone out of her way to help us in anyway possible, is friendly, very courteous, smiling, polite, and a true thinker. You have a jewel there and we pray she is recognized as such.

We would also like to acknowledge the "dancing" lady that is there almost every morning we "used to be ", and dances as well as walks, jogs and whatever. We truly hope she is not also thrown out for "dancing" without a permit" or whatever on a walking/running track. Whoever you are dancing lady you do your thing, it is (was) so nice to see someone like you not afraid to do your own thing, not hurting a sole. If you see us in town before we see you, please do say hello as we would be honored to shake your hand.

Perhaps on non-event days it can be rotated so that one day we go the the right, the next day to the left, and so on.

Dance like no one is watching, smile as every day may be your last, enjoy life.

Thank you & God Bless

3. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    You actually walk your dogs ? What, no 3 foot by 3 foot cage for them to enjoy life in ? You are a reckless one aren't you ?

4. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    We pass by the track most mornings after 4:00 AM and keep on walking. The streets are empty and free. We enjoy greeting familiar faces; scavengers, security guards and carendaria workers. A flashlight for power failures, an umbrella to ward off dog packs, are all we need to enjoy the slowly changing Duma diorama.

Good for you for choosing exersize. Going around in circles in any direction sounds like prison. And why are you so quick to obey an obviously errant bloviator? You do have some rights here. Without your intervention the gatekeeper lady was probably chastised if not fired and the Nazi loudmouth only encouraged to hastle folks like us!

5. OP
    OP
    Angela

Angela DI Junior Member

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you for all your comments, guys. Well, I wasn't looking for something quite as organized or as formal as the Thai exchanges. I guess I was hoping for a sort of "welcome wagon" for new expats. It's just that I lived in Tanjay for 6 months and I couldn't believe how hard it was to make real friends. I was surrounded by so many people but never felt lonelier. Weird, huh? My social life there was practically 0. I mean, sure, there was family around and friends of the family. But it's just not the same thing. I wanted to be among equals and not those who treat you like a novelty piece or those who act like subjects. I wanted to have my own gang to hang out with but everyone in Tanjay is already so well-established & have had their own cliques since Kindergarten that I would always feel like the odd one out or always the new kid on the block.
    I was hoping to find other newcomers as we would have more in common. That's why I asked about expat gatherings. Those who live in Dumaguete have it easier as they can just head to the nearest McDo or walk over to the Boulevard to find other expats. I've heard that there are a few expat guys living in Tanjay but I guess they keep to themselves as I rarely see them around (and it's a very small town).
    Anyway, I'm back in Paris now where a social life is never a problem. I'll be staying here a while longer then I'm off to Tanjay again where I'm afraid loneliness awaits me. To avoid this, I'll have to make an effort to be extra resourceful when I get back. I might have to initiate things myself :smile:

At any rate, the weekly coffee chat and a game of cards sound like a very good idea... I wouldn't mind being invited to one:o

Until next time..
    Maya

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,538 / 1,016
    Expat Life in Negros

Angela, the expat life here is obviously different than you would find in other foreign cities where expats are there for work with international companies, their children are together in international schools, there are social clubs like the American Clubs in Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc., the guys are working, the wives shopping, and they have more income coming in than most of us here.
    Here, the majority are retirees from different countries, backgrounds, health, marital status, financial stability, and spread out from Bayawan to Tanjay. But you are right, in Dumaguete folks hangout for conversation and McDo, Sans Rival at the mall, and boulevard pit stops.
    From Paris to Tanjay reminds me of the saying, you can the girl out of Paris but you can't take Paris out of the girl. I suggest you spend more time in dumaguete and you will find expats who live nearer you in Amlan, San Jose, etc and will make friends here who may come and visit you, to improve your social life here.

7. OP
    OP
    Angela

Angela DI Junior Member

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks, PatO. You are absolutely right! I have overlooked the whole demographics aspect in all this. When I get back, I'll have to stop my moping around and just go out there and take life by the horns :smile:

All the best...