Dumaguete Info Search

Any swimming pool experts out there?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by expatron, Jan 25, 2013.

1. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    One good thing, my 9 year old daughter and all her little swimming friends had even more fun today in the empty pool. That could save me money.:D

2. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Speaking of that, had it fairly dry until the rain tonight. Now knee deep in the deep end.

3. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    We tiles our pool. It has lasted for 8 years now without any problems. Not sure how much we will get out of it, but it doesn't look like I will have to retile it anytime soon.

4. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    My pool is ferro cement structure, 2 inches thick. Nevada waterproofing added to the mix.
    Waited 2 month's before painting, washed thoroughly with concrete neutralizer and painted according to Davies instructions using the proper undercoat and thinners.
    They refunded P 23,000 and would not do that if there is any suspicion of bad preparation.
    I checked Davies ph web site, there's no mention of swimming pool paint.

5. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Epoxy Urethane was the only paint I used on my boat and now on and around the house on anything metal like fence gates, supports of pool roof and garage ect. Very good stuf.
    For sale in Dgt in white only by Zenith hard ware. Much cheaper, the same durability and much easier to apply as automotive urethane.

6. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    By chance we were talking about Epoxy Urethane this morning and my friend mentioned to me that he got the recommendation from Nigel Roberts from Tambobo Bay, he said that it's very good to use and he finds it best to apply it with a short haired Felt-roller and not to use Foam-rollers...

7. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Thanks, I will talk with Nigel next time I see him, but I need to find out if it can be found or tinted light blue. My pool is already bright white and just thinking it might look better in light blue.

Mokum, thanks for the tip, I would think I could get it tinted but who knows. I will check with Zenith.

8. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Ron, you will probably catch Nigel tomorrow (Monday) at Whynot. He usually gets there about 10 a.m. and leaves about 2 pm ish.

9. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    I do not recomment epoxy urethane for a pool. It may work but I don't have experience in it or know of cases it has been used as that.

10. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Tks Roger, Ya I know his schedule is m,w and F. And tks again Mokum.

I do know for sure what ever system used has to be very dry and can take at least 2 weeks of sun and no rain. I didn't drain the pool just for painting and the white has always looked good, I was just thinking I could make it look even better, but I don't think is't worth a lot of money and risk if it goes wrong. So I will wait around 2 weeks and see if I get lucky with the weather and if not just give it an acid and pressure wash and just fill her up again.

I don't have any cracks or any other problem so there won't be any patchwork to show.

The reason I don't want to tile is because it's built over very soft and soggy muck. That's why I took a year and 240 mini dump trucks of fill and the whole year compacting, then a double huge foundation with lot's of large rebar on the house and tied huge beams connecting the house to the pool. There was no settling but don't want to push my luck with more weight if not necessary.