Dumaguete Info Search

Approaching 2022

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Oh, I know Brexiteers don't want to hear it, but the cooperation within Europe (and the UK is part of that) through initially the ECSC (the European Coal and Steel Community) since 1951, followed by the EEC (European Economic Community) in 1957 (the UK applied for membership in 1961) and ultimately the EU since 1993, has definitely contributed in a very major way to the lack of wars between member states since WW2.
    And yes, Brexit has already led to substantial tension between the EU and the UK (so it is sand in the peace engine).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I doubt any major NATO members are going to go to war with each other any time soon. Not with Russia and China being a nuisance to the West. There can be tensions but these issues will adjust certainly be resolved diplomatically or through economic pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    1975 United Kingdom European Communities membership .

I voted for this in the 70's, the common market. Big mistake. Since then the unelected EC added more crap to the worse now EC.
    Why do you think most of the votes in the 2016 referendum where in their 60's and 70 year old.
    Sand in the peace engine, give over, it's about free trade we can trade with the rest of the world and not have to ask permission to the EC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dutchie

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The UK (like all current member states of the EU) never needed anyone's permission to trade with any country outside the EU. You don't actually believe that Dutch exporters need permission from Brussels to sell cheese, flowers, chemicals, machines, and whatever else to Russia right?
    The people voting for Brexit have been fed outright lies in the runup to the 2016 referendum by Brexiteer politicians and many of the shitty prints that sell as newspapers.
    But it's fine, if 5 years later people still want to believe those lies then good luck to them.
    As for the average age of the voters that decided for Brexit being rather above that of the voters who voted against Brexit, maybe it's because those over 60 on average hold more conservative views than younger people, and maybe because they're on average more xenophobe than younger people, and maybe older people are on average more gullible, I don't know why you asked for my thoughts about it anyway.

Lastly, yes sure, the European commission may be unelected, but it is the elected politicians from member states who make all of the important decisions.
    To fulminate against the "bureaucrats in Brussels and their crap" is just a gimmick to sell newspapers (and convince potential voters).

My apologies to the O.P. for the hijacking of his thread.

• Like Like x 3
  5. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    No apologies needed.....it's all up for debate.
    Looking at the bigger picture it's true to say we are all in the same boat, apart from all that's been said so far, a world financial crisis is more than likely.
    Sorry to be the carrier of bad tidings!!!!!!

• Genius Genius x 1
  6. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Not really asking for permission but loads of red tape which the EC Money mongrels love. You still have to adhere to their Nazi commands. what's the matter any way, I never asked for your thoughts about BREXIT. You brought it up and I replied. Also you are calling 52 million British citizens on average xenophobe and gullible.
    Import and export - European Union

7. Dutchie

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Maybe you need to look up the definition of a Nazi before using the term to describe public servants in Brussels.
    You did ask for my thoughts on british voters over 60 in the Brexit referendum,
    and I replied.
    And no, I didn't call 52 million Brits on average xenophobe and gullible. There were only 17.4 million leave voters, of which approximately 20% were 60+, so my comment referred to about 3.5 million.
    To be sure, that's still a large number, but it's only 7.5% or so of the electorate.
    And no, I am under no illusions as to the percentage of xenophobe and gullible people elsewhere in Europe, including my own country.

8. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    This debate is going on longer than Brexit itself, lol. So this is my Last post on this. I got confused with the numbers. I got what I wanted and the EU Nazies tried their best to keep us in. Too bad for you lot hope more will come out and they will. Oh and Merry Christmas. No Brussels sprouts this year lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Financial crisis/depressions/recessions are
    a built in feature of capitalism. It would happen if the EU never existed or if the UK was a part of it or not. It is likely that they are less common with a large group of countries working together to manage trade.

10. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    They say that every internet argument will at some point devolve into a reference to Nazi. I would go one step further. The party that references Nazi is giving up, throwing in the towel. It is the rooster that's running away. (If the shoe fits, wear it.)

Unless, of course, the topic of discussion is actual genocide.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2021