Dumaguete Info Search

Approaching 2022

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So do the opposite of honorable because...history can't be changed?

2. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    NO, but should " The sins of the Father be past down to the sons "?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Always go for 'Winner' Jimlad :smile:

Maybe a 'Genius' sometimes?

I need something to frame on my walls!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I do recall a very senior member of this Forum telling me in the past that the current generation should not be taking responsibility for the past deeds of their country! But, without reading all the Forum again, I have no source.

5. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Do you have figures for the numbers trudging their way to China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Philippines? Btw, I arrived here by plane and guessed that arriving in a dingy would not go down too well. But by all means, help some refugees - but only those who enter LEGALLY. It probably costs less and is safer.

Countries who give refuge to illegal entrants who RISKED THEIR LIVES to get there are RESPONSIBLE for those who died on the way.

6. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Agree - and where do we put the bar? For the UK, is it when we have 2 million illegals (almost certainly already there!) or 5 million (possibly there) or 10 million or 20 million or 40 million? Those who say keep letting them come need to do the maths.

I also wonder where, in a catastrophe for the UK (other than having Boris as PM) where would we all go? Who would take us in our millions? I may be corrected on this, but in WW2 I think most of our own refugees went to other parts of the UK.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The most recent information on illegal immigrants in Europe that I can find puts the number at between 2.8 million and 3.7 million for all of Europe combined (excluding asylum-seekers who are awaiting the decision on their application) at the end of 2017, or less than 1% of the population. For the UK the numbers are relatively somewhat higher at 0.8 to 1.2 million, or less than 2% of the population. Between 20o8 and 2017 the numbers across Europe have been largely stable.
    I therefore consider your estimates wrong, and bordering on misinformation.

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you directly profit off of those sins, absolutely. If my father gave me a couple tons of Nazi gold should I be allowed to keep it?

9. Chopple

Chopple DI New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I could sure go for COVID being done. I wouldn't mind if the world were a little more attentive to climate change as well, but most of all it would be nice to get back to somewhat normal life again. And I'll no doubt have plans to get in better shape that flame out after a couple weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Let your conscience be your guide.
    Not quite sure where all this is leading to but.......
    Climate change, drought, pestilence, deforestation, war, earthquakes, etc etc
    Yes I think the world is in a mess and yes we always need somebody to blame for the past, the present and the future.
    Do I feel pity for those less fortunate than myself, of course I do.
    Was I lucky to have been born when I was and where I am, never having had to suffer the terrible hardships those less fortunate have suffered, too right I was.

Let's put this back into perspective, most of the plundering wealth extracted from the colonies by the so called Elite and Privileged of the Western World was used to
    their own ends, living the most luxurious lifestyles of the day, while the majority of their own countrymen suffered their own hardships during the 18th and 19th centuries.
    What was their sufferings......Plagues, Disease, Hunger, Homelessness, Workhouses, Child labour, Imprisonment for stealing food, etc etc.
    Life in the Western World has a history too!