Dumaguete Info Search

Architect/Home Builder

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Blueberry, Sep 29, 2022.

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I have just been writing in reply to another member who had sent me a PM, this is a subject I have touched on here many times here on DI, I will post here what I said to him.

For sure there is one thing to be wary of when building there, buying from the local hardware stores comes at a very high cost added to that you have to visit three of them to get everything you need, one day I did this spending most of the day going around the stores only to come back empty handed, I'll give an example just how much can be saved buying on-line, our Kitchen sink to buy this locally including the Tap would have been P13,200, I bought the same on-line for P3,200 including shipping, knowing what I know now after building a House there, with a bit of forward planning I should have bought all I could on-line and likely saved myself well over P100K, two Brand names I would recommend are Lotus they make tools as well as Kitchen hardware and the other is Tolsen Tools, shipping stuff from home in a Balikbayan Box is worthwhile, I did do this with some of the obvious things and my Son in UK sent these on to me, you cannot buy a decent paintbrush there in PH on-line or otherwise, what you do get there are just too thin and they do not pick up much paint, here in UK I can get them 100% better for around the same price, On Shoppee there is a store called Go2Hardware, heavy gauge SS Door hinges from them are P125 to get the same in DGTE will be P4-500 the ones from Go2 are just the same quality.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I have passed the DPX office dozens of times but never stopped in and have been curious if anyone in this forum had experience with them but it seems no one has or will not talk about them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 12
    Noticed as well.

DPX currently makes a lot of advertising on Facebook for their solar plants.

I really would like to know whether any member had already experience with this company and their work, and would like to share it.

Interested to learn from members their experiences with other solar companies as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  5. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    I don't know which company my neighbor used but the company has not been able to get Noreco to allow connection of their system to the grid. I don't know if the problem is Noreco or the installer. I suspect the installer does not get along with Noreco.

Another person I know had a solar/battery system installed. It seems the batteries are the wrong type and need to be replaced every 6 months.

If I were to deal with a solar power provider there would be a schedule of payment based on progress (like getting connected to the grid) and performance.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Yikes! Sounds like a headache. I definitely want to consider solar for my backup power source. I am currently using it small scale some units that I got from Amazon for lighting walkways and over the utility shed and it has performed great so far. I will be installing some at my brother in laws place and see how they hold up there.

7. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 12
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes, Noreco is not very supportive and obviously not very interested to get energy from solar plants or install net metering. I have heard that from various people.

Furthermore there is a fee of 30.000 Peso you have to pay to get the permit from Noreco. Plus costs for installation and check of new metering system.

Hence it might be better to have a solar system without selling surplus to Noreco. Just producing for yourself. Problem is in this case you will need capable batteries which are still pretty expensive. And they will last probably 5 or 6 years then need to be replaced. Your ROI will be negative all the time.

That's why I am still undecided. From a financial point of view it doesn't look very promising. And it will not change till prices for batteries are high and Noreco isn't supporting. Not mentioning the difficulties to find a capable and trustful contractor for design and installation.

8. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Dave there is a man lives in Valencia who supplies Solar systems his name is Jeff (I call him Big Bad Jeff he is 6'3'') he is a US guy and an arrogant Fecker, he drives a Red Hilux Pickup, one of the partners in Phil-Can told me their company had a job done by him but they would not use him again, I do know a partner in this business lives adjacent to you and this may well have been that very job you speak of?

This Jeff also did a couple of installations for two of his drinking mates one of which you know Canadian Rob, he was charged around P330K for a 5.6kw system, there is two types of panels available the latest being the Monocrystalline the older less efficient are Polycrystalline, so Rob had the Mono's fitted, then we have US Chris around this same time he had the same system fitted but was charged P500K with the old Poly panels being fitted, obviously this did not go down well with Chris when he later found out he was charged a different Mates Rate, so he demanded his money back and threatened Jeff to report him to the BIR, Chris got his way and the panels were removed and his money returned to him. This is not the first time I have warned people off this Jeff in both of the above cases there was problems getting their system Grid Tied, Rob had to go it alone and managed to get this done, Jeff did not fulfil his promise to arrange this.

Some months after these two jobs were done DPX (I believe they are tied in with Phil-Ex?) were advertising their 5.6KW system for P330K supplied and fitted, from this I can only assume Rob never did get a Mates Rate and Chris was just ripped off.

On 11th December of 2014 I had a solar system fitted to my hoose in Scotland, this is a 4kw system and this cost the equivalent of P330K, this can be had for the same price or less today as now the grid tied payments are very low, it was predicted to take 8yrs for payback, if my house had been in London I would have the system pay for itself in 7yrs, however solar panels are more efficient the colder it gets and a cold day with clear blue skies have it working at its best, the very best month of the year for me is May (600kw in the month) and not June (500kw in the month) as you would expect having the longest days.

• Like Like x 2
  9. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +261 / 52
    I posted before somewhere else here, was talking to them for a bit a year or more back, and was charged 5k for an ocular inspection which would be swallowed up in the final price, they just looked up from the ground, no mention of the coconut trees swaying in the wind no ladder, no asking to go up to the attic to see, just a shrug of the shoulders and a few cige's and they were off..........5k well spent

you_have_been_removed
    This message by you_have_been_removed has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Abhorrent! Abhorrent! x 1
  10. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Yes that was my neighbor that had/has trouble getting Noreco to allow them to hook up to the grid. The contractor that built the house started with a crew of competent supervisors and for a number of reasons lost them. The replacements were NOT TOO SKILLED.

It sounds like Noreco really doesn't want to buy solar power from residential consumers. It would be interesting to know why they want 30K pesos, for what???

I remeber your post from about a year ago. You should be happy!!!! Basically you got mugged and the mugger stole your pocket change. They forgot to take your wallet and cell phone.

My meter shows that I draw about 325 watts all day (every day). If I just hook up a 250 watt on grid system I might see some reduction from my Noreco bill. There is no way Noreco is going to get 30K from me. I'm toying with that idea.
    One person tried to sell me an on-grid system boasting a 5 year payback. Finance is not my thing but when I looking at the numbers they came out closer to 10 years and that did not include the lost opportunity cost of having a lot of capital invested for 10 years. If any parts of the system failed there would be more costs. The system was just not likely to pay for itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1