Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: ARE LOCKDOWNS CAUSING MORE HARM THAN GOOD?

1. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Regarding the question, "what happened to the flu?" .... does anybody think that the covid mitigation measures of staying home, social distancing, mask wearing, combined with the fact that people run to their doctor with the slightest little sniffle might just have had a tangential impact on the number of deaths from the flu in the past year?

Regarding the question, "are lockdowns causing more harm that good" ... we can see the negative effects that the lockdowns have, they are easy to quantify and certainly are real. What we cannot see is how bad the exponential curve of infectious contagion might have been if we hadn't done the lockdowns, we can only guess at that. My "opinion" is that, even will all negative effects factored in, the cost of NOT doing them would have been worse, and instead of being measured in dollars, would have been measured in deaths.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Google isn't what people should be worried about here. Any random person could have created the form and be collecting the information. It says Dumaguete City at the top but anyone could have typed that in. There is absolutely no information or link about who created the form or where it is going. It could be some Indian scammer for all we know.

I filled out form but only with my name and (disposable) phone number just to see what happens. Even if legit I bet the rules for this vaccine rollout will change 20 times before a single vaccine hits the island and this form and all the information will be discarded.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    The current situation in Manila (from CNN) - a place known for overcrowding, of course, but also for people failing to follow lockdown rules (that combination is lethal):

"As coronavirus cases continue to rise, hospitals in Metro Manila are forced to deal with 'doomsday' scenarios brought by an overwhelming number of patients seeking treatment, the head of a doctors' group lamented Tuesday.

"It's like a doomsday scenario in the movies. That's the situation. Numbers are moving up and the hospitals are getting overwhelmed," Philippine Hospital Association President Dr. Jaime Almora told CNN Philippines' New Day.

Almora recounted situations that are far too common for those tending to their loved ones who got infected — long lines in emergency rooms, overworked medical staff, medical resources running out, and dying patients who could not get immediate treatment.

"The situation is very dire. I actually describe it as a nightmare. Because the most dreaded thing that we don't want to happen is happening in reality and there's so much anguish, so much suffering already, fear, despair, frustration, all the things happening in our hospitals," he said.

"Seeing patients dying is one of the things that really breaks a health worker's heart because every health worker wants to be of help but when you become incapacitated, you're helpless already because of the sheer number [of cases]," Almora added."

No lockdowns and this would have been the situation almost everywhere. The alternatives to lockdown are not in place.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    ABSOLUTELY, did not mention it above, but i have ALWAYS felt the TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS instituted last march 14 throughout the Philippines was THE reason we did not have the big problems of Manila or Cebu. Proved by the actions of the idiot arrogant lawyer and his "private plane" to Manila, who brought back a covid surge of dozens of people. I cringed when i read that, hunkered down for a week until i realized he wasn't going to kill many people. Fairly strict quarantine surely helped.

In the US, the brilliant early lockdowns in places like San Francisco were rendered useless by planes and highways carrying sick people being allowed in from ravaged countries and ravaged US cities.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Considering the Population of Philippines and given the strict entry procedures may well of reduced the number of reported cases.
    However it may be also true that due to the number of islands and restriction of movement that has been a blessing in disguise.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I'm glad you posted a lot of varied articles because there are people here who will ask for them, as though it is your job to provide them. All governments should ever have done was to provide people with facts about the disease, tell them wearing a mask might save lives of those that are careless with the lives of people they care about, and offer common sense approaches to responsibly lower your own risk, if you deem yourself or those you care about to be at risk.

The world as a whole has ruined the futures of so many. A population of billions has been affected by measures to keep those at risk from getting infected and failed. 115 million worldwide infected, 2.58 million dead, without talking about the believability of the reporting.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. foobar

foobar DI Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 5
    OK first of all that lowercase l after the c in the link is actually a capital I in case anyone was having trouble.

Secondly, it's a Google form. If they really expect people to share their confidential medical history with GOOGLE, way over there is where they can f*ck off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I see the form looking like this:

Please choose which vaccine you are willing to take:

a) Sinovac

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    While this discussion continues, the one thing I can't forget is TV footage of dead bodies being removed from apartment blocks in Wuhan at the beginning of all this Covid Pandemic, others being dragged out by force, while certain people who spoke out, disappeared or suddenly died.
    There are 130m recorded cases worldwide with 2.83m deaths.
    Has the virus peaked, I'd like to think so, I will be more re-assured when I get my second jab.
    Stay safe and continue to be cautious, many will still catch it and some will die, dont be one of them!
    Look on the bright side....we could of been dealing with a Nuclear fallout!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Chickenpox has not been eradicated.

What they look like is irrelevant. Case numbers are not based on what they look like and to find out what a person is infected with by looking at the virus particles (virions) would mean every person would have to have a sample taken, cultured in cell tissue, the virions extracted and then examined under an electron microscope. The flu virus is the flu virus (or strains of that virus) and the Covid virus is the Covid virus (or strains of that virus) - and never the twain shall meet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1