Dumaguete Info Search

Visa Question Arrive At Airport for International flight with no Exit Visa?

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by KanoScott, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Ex231 the simple answer as to why you can't get the ecc anywhere but Manila, Cebu and Davao is because they simply don't trust the smaller offices. It must be signed by a regional head honcho.

To answer the OP, no, you cannot leave the country without the ECC. They will tell you to leave and go get one at one of the main offices. You will miss your flight and it will be out of your pocket. It's a silly rule but it's their rule and they are currently sticking to it. (at least as of December 23, my last departure date) I had mine but the guy in front of me didn't. He had a bad day.

2. anthony1

anthony1 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had several Ecc's issued here in past years, here in Dumaguete, but that stopped last April 2013, I guess head office has found out the payments were not being sent to Manila, no other reason for the change.

More fun in the Philippines

3. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    I have the same opinion about this bullshit ECC. Also being here as tourist on a tourist visa.
    But once one has that ECC. Than from the date the ECC has been issued till the date you actually will leave the country you commit a crime or what's ever. They don't check @the airport coz you show an ECC?
    Why only people on a tourist visa have to follow this ridiculous way of getting an ECC while people staying on another visa can obtain it @the airport. I can only come to one conclusion: discourage a tourist staying longer than 6 months or get married with a filipina or else a non tourist visa.
    It makes again clear why the PH is still on list#3 (coz there ain't a list #4).

4. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    Here's a question for you .. do you think they actually checked .. ever????

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Considering that Dumaguete office say, they are not on Line, I fail to see how they could do any checking at all.

6. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    So final conclusion: keep a lot of people @work and pumping around money for a procedure that also can be done in the airport as for holders who don't have a tourist. But of course, why keep it simple, when you can also make it as complicated as possible.
    Still more fun in the PH (really..........??)

7. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    Easy now RR .. I think streamlining or making things easier and/or more efficient is looked down upon as some sort of witchcraft.

8. Lostgrigo

Lostgrigo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I had my visa updated as I had over stayed. I was told after two days of going from window to window that everything was good. No worries. Just go to the airport. But I was not told about paying for an exit visa. I thought for a moment afterwards that they did it on purpose. I waited for my flight and went through a huge lineup only to be told I could not board my plane. They told me that I had to go back to Manila Imm and get this done. I missed my flight!

You just cannot trust anyone here. You have to check everything at least twice. Logic in terms of how they could stream line the process. Please don't even bother going there! BTW this happened to me about 6 weeks ago.

9. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    Hi all 4 years ago I went to fly out to Bangkok with out a clearance , it took a while but they let me through after paying 1 300 peso find( no receipt) . But I would not try it now
    cheers

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The rules for an exit clearance have been there for quite some time. Where you can get it, how much it costs and if you can get it at the airport have changed over the years. The enforcement the rule seems to highly depend on which Immigration officer you get at the airport.

With that said, the rules are the rules. Like it or not you should have it. If you don't want to have the hassle have your paperwork lined up. This information is on the immigration webpage. (or at least it was until the site was upgraded some time ago).

This is NOT a question you should be asking 6 hours before your flight. If you had planned on staying in this country...or any country really...for any amount of time you should be familiar with their immigration policies. You don't have to like the law, but you have to obey it.

This took me about 1 minute to find on the immigration website:

Under the FAQs section of the Immigration webpage:
    Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC)

As I said, enforcement of this law is like any other law in this country...you might be able to blow through that helmet checkpoint one day and the next you might get cloths lined off your motorcycle by the LTO and be laying on the ground with a fractured skull (which I would actually prefer over missing a flight and being stuck in that cess pool they call Manila for the weekend waiting for Immigration to open up Monday). Best option: play it safe, get your paperwork and have no worries or getting stuck in Manila for a day or more.