Dumaguete Info Search

ARRIVING TO DUMAGUETE JUNE 2016

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nwlivewire, May 24, 2015.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :thumbsup: Well I think you are one Brave Lady and Wish you all the best on this venture and remember, we are here to help where we can.

JP :bag: :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dear Patty:

THANKS!!!!

I'm starting a list of the girly things I will need like undergarments and shoes and sneakers. I am taller (bigger and broader, too) than the average local female, so this is a BIG help to know in advance.

Spices - check.

Bath towels - check.

Any other house hold or personal items, let me know.

I'm making notes about just this kind of stuff.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

3. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thank-you Jack.

I appreciate all you and the forum have given.

Looking forward to my touchdown to Dumaguete.

It's very reassuring to read there are other ex-pats so willing to render good counsel.

This takes a lot of the edge off the "unknown".

I'm lucky to have found you all!

V/R,

nwlivewire

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    I did think of a few more girly things. For your nails a DiamonDeb file, not available here and emery boards are poor quality. Favorite color nail polish, buy a few bottles, many colors here but never the one you want. Are you a Costco member? Or go to Target or Walmart Buy some disposable razors and deodorant, both expensive here. These will not take up much suitcase space and last you a long time. If you are a music lover, bring along your cd's, very poor selection here. Also if you have any medications, pack them in your carry on or purse as well as your good jewelry. Have a small pack of tissues, most restrooms do not provide any toilet paper or paper towels. Salamat means thank you. Happy flight.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks Patty for coming back online and adding these, "Oh yeah. I forgot to mention..." things.

All this stuff you mention adds up to big bucks if you decide to arrive with just the shirt on your back. My thinking I can just waltz right into a store and find all these things at the right size sounds like I would be dreaming of living somewhere else and not Dumaguete.

I'm not a make-up girly-girl. Too many years of civilian and military field occupations pretty much made doing the make-up and nail polish an incompatible thing for me. I'd have to re-learn everything and probably poke an eye out.:eek:

But the perfume, basic body care items, foot and nail care, and other niceties will be listed on my "hit list". Who would have thought you couldn't find a DiamonDeb or emery boards? Good tip!

My good jewelry is staying back with my Son. He'll get a nice ring or two he might be able to use (or his wife). And since my good, everyday watch finally bit the dust, I'll be getting another watch of more practical use and value.

And of course, remind me when I get closer to departure (June 2016). If you need a small item, let me know and I can see if I can get it and bring it to you.

Oh. Are the sheet sizes in bedding the same size there as here in the States? I'm assuming Queen size is a common size there? Do fitted sheets work or should they be all flat sheets to play it safe?

Salamat!

V/R,
    nwlivewire

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,538 / 1,016
    nwlivewire, fyi, you refer to a "Courtesy SRRV". As I read and understand the SRRV options, a Courtesy SRRV is for returning filipinos, not foreigners. So unless you are a returning filipino you would go for the normal SRRV. Their website is
    PRA: Philippine Retirement Authority

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The Courtesy SRRV applies to former Filipinos, diplomats (foreigners) and retired Military personnel over 50 years old. The retired military part is a newer addition to this visa that is not covered on the PRA website (well it could be but I didn't find it....didn't look very hard). I mentioned it in the second post of this thread. :wink:

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Bedding is a other common complaint. The thread counts in Dumaguete are low but appallingly expensive. Bring a couple nice sets of sheets with you. I would bring flat sheets with you in case the new sizes differ. I have no idea if the bed sizes here are to an international/US standard. I have a bamboo bed frame with a large mattress sitting on it. I would call it a queen size but no idea if it actually is or not. I don't personally care about this though, I could use taped together newspapers as sheets and not complain so probably not the best person to be talking on this subject.

There was a thread I started about what items people would like to see in an online store I'm going to start up in the DI suggestions forum. Might be worth a look. I'll get you a link the that thread when I get a chance.

Edit: here is the link to that thread. What products would you like? Feeler | Dumaguete Info

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  9. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    F0r most of what I see that you are thinking about bringing, I think you should just send a balikbayan box or two rather than run the risk with customs. Though if you're talking about bringing everything in suitcases you'd probably be ok, but you never know.

I know someone who had a big budget SRRV visa thing 10yrs ago and got raped in Manila by customs even though their SRRV entitled them to this or that

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    nwlivewire, concerning sheets, bring all flat, beds are varied sizes or bring a few king fitted to use on any size. Bring what is most important. I came with a carry on and two suitcases. Sold everything in the states a few months prior. Life is simple, casual and try to get used to a slower pace. Many times walking is faster than a pedicab ride and a better way to learn about town. Have comfortable sneakers and sandals.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1