Dumaguete Info Search

Question Asthma Diagnosis - Appetite Enhancing "Vitamins"

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Rye83, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    But the list does not show the quality of these universities. What is better: a very good university where 93% of the students are passing or a crap university where 100% of the students are passing?

2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    In the Philippines they have National Board exams because not all schools teach the same curriculum.
    My step daughter studied at Silliman but did her 3 month course review at UP in Manila prior to the board exam. UP set the exam that year so she studied there and had to learn several things that were not taught at Silliman.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Agreed, but the method of measurement is a standardized test, so it essentially pools all the students. It's possible, due to location, pool of students, scholarships granted that a less prestigious school (none of these schools are crap) could get some of the best students. In a country with millions, we are talking thousands, so very selective in the best institutions. Along the same line as your questions. Is a school with 10 students testing and get 100% pass better than a school with 200 testing that gets 100%? From what I recall, you are taking anywhere from 15-20 students up to maybe 200 per school in a given year. Is it better to pass 93% out of 200 or 100% out of 15? All depends on how you chose to rank them, number passed or percent passed. I don't know if this test is a pass/fail test (it's not, if like the US exam) or you you have to do better than a certain number. If it is, then is it better to have 100% pass with a 70% or 93% pass with a 90%. In addition, I'm guessing there are preparation guides available for the test, so a motivated/smart student might be able to overcome some of the deficiencies of the school with hard work. We are probably just splitting hairs when we talk about which of the top institutions are the best.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    A doctor in the family.......nice.

5. Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    No Doctor unfortunately. She studied Nutrition and Diet.
    The Philippines has board exams for several disciplines; Doctors, Nurses, Social Workers, Med-techs. Engineers, accountants, dentists etc. To retain their certifications they have to attend a number of seminars in a given period of time.
    My step-daughter had an interesting job. She worked at a startup company that designed custom diets for diabetics, kidey patients, people that wanted to loss weight/gain weight, cardiac condition, high blood pressure patients etc.. Her deal was that she would design diets and attract clients and get profit sharing once they achieved X clients. To make a long story short when the company hit X patients the boss didn't want to share the profits or hire another cook. The boss told my step daughter to start cooking and she told them where to get off.
    I'm very proud of her for having nerves.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Does she work in Dumaguete?

7. Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    No she's in Iloilo now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stevetheheave

stevetheheave One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Hi. Can you please tell me the name of the doctor in Valencia & where he is. We've been looking for a GP for over a year. We did find a children's doctor under the Lee Plaza Department store.
    It seems a bit of a crime to choke up the hospital to just get a prescription or to see someone about something relatively minor.
    Thanks