Dumaguete Info Search

ATTN: PHONE THAT WORKS IN USA & PHILIPPINES

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by nwlivewire, May 3, 2016.

1. redvette

redvette DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Check out Republic Wireless. They provide proprietary Motorola smart phones that uses wifi to call and text to the US. You keep your US cell number..the wifi only plan is about $6 a month.. use when needed and get voicemails. Get a second phone for daily use in the PI.

2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I'm going back on my earlier position. Get an Iphone. If you are getting free **** then you might as well go for the gold standard. I mean, who the **** is going to ask for a used Honda Civic when asked what kind of car do you want?

If you are hard up on cash after you get here, the Iphone has the best resale value too. :banana:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Sounds like a great deal if the call looks like it originated from the US. T-Mobile has wifi calling on phones they enable for it but it isn't anywhere near this cheap.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I posted this elsewhere but I will post it here also, the frequencies for Globe and Smart from the web.

Globe 2G 900 and 1800. 3G 900 and 2100. LTE 1800 and 2600.

Smart 2G 900 and 1800. 3G 850 and 2100. LTE 850, 1800 and 2100.

I'm told that Sun uses the same frequencies as Smart for whatever service they provide.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I also have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 that has worked without issue in Guatemala, Homg Kong, Macau, and here in the Philippines.

Press and hold that sim card warning until it changes, then tap the information (i in the circle). That opens up the app, press "force stop" and the stupid warming will be gone until the next time you restart your phone.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Today I rec'd my "VA" phone - UNLOCKED.

I rec'd an iPhone S6 - model A 1633.

I have much to learn and many apps to get in order to make this phone the kind of tool that will work for me.

Here's what PC Mag has to say about this phone....

Apple iPhone 6s (Unlocked)

I'm currently set up with as 45 dollar a month plan (no contract - I pay for this) and my primary carrier is Verizon (for now).

My therapist put the request in for a phone and this is what they (the VA) approved me to have.

On Friday, I need to go down to the tech store and buy all the peripheral storage/safety gear. That's another 150 bucks.

I go back to the VA this coming Monday and let them know of my progress with this phone.

Going out of town soon - be back after AUG 10.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Informative Informative x 2