Dumaguete Info Search

Atty. Abellon arrested

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by shadow, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    And that kind of spells it out, doesn't it. An HONEST lawyer can make good money here, and not have to try to get rich on every transaction, while those 90% that are crooks and thieves have to get into politics to earn the same amount because nobody trusts them. Go figure...

2. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    How about figure this out, your a newly graduate lawyer or just anything now working in a government office. You got in there and everyone is just corrupt and no matter how honest you are, do you think any of these workmates of yours will ever wanna make friends or acknowledge you because your not one of them? Its very hard for someone HONEST to stay HONEST, everyday there'll be a temptation and you'll be left with no choice but to go withthe flow. Either yo do the same or your getting in their way. And if you get in their wAy, you'll end up with no job. Just imagine how hard to get am employment in philippines and not jst that, if you p*ss off anyone that has a good connection it could be the end of your career.

its not just honesty here, some people is left with no choice.

3. OP
    OP
    shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    So knowing this full well, why would an HONEST lawyer apply for employment under the public coffers? The answer is he wouldn't. He can make the choice to steal or not to steal, just like everyone else. His education should show him the way to making an honest living if that is what he desires.

Larry

4. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    it sounds like lawers here are something australian pollys they are like banana,s they start off green end up yellow and no straight bastards

5. nice_sherwood

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Woth all due respect sir, how about publicity? Your talking about someone just graduated or starting a career. Dont you think itll be very hard to be an independent YOUNG lawyer? Do you think anybody will trust you considering your new and has no public connections? Building a name takes a while. Most newly graduate lawyers in the philippines end up working in the government, its like their starting point and thats how they make good connections with people in high up positions.

you have to know people from inside to quickly process your work and these people wont get off their asses unless you bribe them. Thats just the hobest truth. You can be honest all you like but if your working or gonna work with these sort of people, its either their way or the highway.

6. OP
    OP
    shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Yes, it is called work, and it is something that honest people do to survive in the real world without "connections". In any trade it takes a while to learn the ropes and gain trusting clientele. They make their own choices, and if they are honest and fair the people will come to them, just as does a carpenter, mechanic, builder, or what have you. Those after the "fast money" sooner or later get classified as scammers and cheats and get avoided or have to go into public service, and those that only want to make an honest living do so within a few years, sometimes quite well.

It is quite apparent which side of the fence you are on.

I rest my case, your royal highness.

Larry

7. nice_sherwood

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

No sir, i definately understand your point but i believe that your missing my point. He can work yes, but to speed up his work for his client's satisfaction is another different story. Take it for example, your client just appointed you to proces the titling for her newly acquired property. You go to BIR for the taxes computations and bcause your anti-corruption BIR agent gave you a computation of 400k and you know that your client wouldnt be too happy and of course she will demand to lessen the taxes and believes that you can do something about it just like other lawyers that bribes people to speed up the process and it'll be half of the price but some of the money is gonna go to the agent's pocket so its either you do it or you loose a client. And once you loose a client, the word will spread out of how lousy of a lawyer you are.

So your choice, but whatever choice you make, itll be very hard. I understand that foreigners are brought up in a different system where honesty rules and the cheaters get punished, i, myself is disgusted of the system that i was brought up and please dont question which side im in, i lost my father because he was too honest and people didnt like it. They couldnt handle his honesty and he ended up dead. And thats what ive learnt in this country.

8. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    There is ALWAYS a choice! Losers think the exact opposite.

9. nice_sherwood

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

But not when your in philippines. Life is cheap and if your smart, you should know better than anyone what your up against before you want to mess with any educated locals. If you want to put someone like that in jail you make sure he will stay in jail and can't get out because once he does, you never know.. He can make your life a living hell. He works in the immigration, he has all the access and it only takes a phone call for him to know if the guy is in the country or not, doesn't take long to know where he is. Think of it.

I just think philippines is not the right place to act like a hero unless of course if your already out of your mind cause most of those that acted heroes ended up dead.

These are the things foreigners should take into consideration. Like I said, what the guy did is great but being in a case like this, all I can say is I wish you the best of luck.

Losers here are the ones who fought for their rights and what they believe in because they become forgotten and Philippines remain the same infact getting worst and some times you wonder yourself, is it worth it?

Anyways, I'd rest my case, just an opinion.

10. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Life sure looks different if you are inside the System...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.