Dumaguete Info Search

Australian nun arrested in Philippines granted release after 22 hours in custody

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Anonymous, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Seems there is more to this than just a one off protest from the a nun, she has been doing this type of thing for 27 years. Freedom of speech in the Philippines only applies to Filipinos. The article is worth a read. It seems they are targeting the loudest voices against his regime to make an example right now.

While that nun has obviously been breaking the law and probably should be deported I have to give her credit and respect for sticking to her guns and beliefs and continuing to talk smack to reporters in the article even after her arrest. Don't think that will end well for her, but still...she's got a set on her.

How long until Duterte tells the Filipino people to take it upon themselves to report any foreigner that had said something bad about his rigeme to have them deported? What evidence will be required to go along with these accusations? Could he leave it up to his death squads to determine who is guilty?

• Like Like x 1
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    From an electoral standpoint, du30 has most of the people behind him. I think most of those people are very envious of the West and deep down inside resent all those “rich” foreigners coming in and acting like they own the place. From stories I have heard, and I was 7 years old at the time, This reminds me of the way it must have been in Cuba when Castro empowered the Cubans to spit in our faces, shout “yankee go home” and then realize just whom they put in power only after it was too late. The people do not care about statistics involving remittances, they care about honor and pride. It is like the good feeling of pride we Americans felt after Reagan drove the Cubans out of Grenada, after our long humiliation with the Iran hostage crisis. So now it is their time to feel proud, to feel good, to be nationalists. Nothing we foreigners can do in will put an end to that nor should we. That stupid nun should realize that. For me, I will stand aside and watch from a safe distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Stand aside? You just compared them to a corrupt communist country. Maybe someone will have a problem with you making that comparison and report you for saying their dear leader is a dictator like Castro and have you deported for it. As you said; nothing can be done about their illogical national pride. The nun may just be the start...who knows where or who their ire will be pointed next? Have property that a neighbor is jealous of? Maybe they will report you for political speak to have you deported to take that land from you. It has already been shown they are willing to falsely report people for drug use/dealing to handle disagreements.

4. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I certainly don’t need this kind of Bullshit in my life.

I just learned that it is nearly impossible to delete one’s membership from this forum.

The value-add of my participating here just reached negative as a result of Wrye’s post. I will keep looking for a way to leave but it sort of looks like the mafia, or better, the Roach Motel, for those of you familiar with that ad, “Once you get in, you don’t get out”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My post was in agreement with yours. It was not many to be taken as a personal attack in any way.

If you want to leave the forum go to change your password and make it gibberish that you will never remember. Or you can ask me to ban you. There's no coming back from that. You will be immediately banned again if trying to join again.

If you wish to have any personal information removed from the forum provide links to any post where you went against the forum suggestion of not posting such information publicly and I will delete it. Once deleted and banned your email will be deleted from your account so you no longer receive any emails.

If you can't handle even the lightest of debates without throwing a little hissy fit I suggest you go the ban route and p*ss off elsewhere.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    The advice to keep clear of electoral politics is good. The nun, however, has a visa situation different from most of us. She is a missionary. She takes it as her duty, as a Christian missionary, to stand up for the poor, regardless of borders or nationality. This is transcends politics and goes back, in her view, to the beginning of Christianity. Previous administrations of the Philippines have had no objection to that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Even the One who began Christianity humbly accepted that political leaders would punish him and suggested: forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Thus we are discussing the injustice of this nun's predicament while she likely sees the publicity as good for her cause. And that is just my humble opinion.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I note that Mr Wyre did give you a 'LIKE' for your comment "From an electoral standpoint ....." which tends to indicate he was on your side.

However, it saddens me to see comments like "If you can't handle even the lightest of debates without throwing a little hissy fit I suggest you go the ban route and p*ss off elsewhere." A point of view can be expressed within an apparent disagreement which allows both sides to be cool and just get on happily with life.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There more to it than what was publicly posted. Was not the first time I was asked to delete the account over someone challenging/debating an opinion.

However, I agree that I overreacted myself. My apologies to @djfinn6230 for that. And thanks to @Notmyrealname for calling me out on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well that's that. Don't think it will do her any good to appeal that decision.

• Agree Agree x 1