Dumaguete Info Search

Australian nun arrested in Philippines granted release after 22 hours in custody

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Anonymous, Apr 17, 2018.

1. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Engaging in another countries politics is trying to force your ideals, your logic, your beliefs, and your values on others. Who are we to say what is right or wrong for another country. Sure, we may complain about it but its every person's right to decide their own house rules and for someone else who doesn't live there to tell you how to live and what should be done is equal to a dictatorship and a dictatorship from someone with no skin in the game and no right to engage in your house rules.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    Oh NO .... not AGAIN! :jawdrop::speechless::wink:

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    About the nun wanting to make the Philippines a better place: Yeah, that’s not a “good” thing when it involves the Philippines political process. Why? It is breaking the law of a constitutional republic. Some holds are barred here. That’s the way the people defined it. If she doesn’t like it she should leave. Otherwise she should go forth and preach the good news of the Gospel and create more Christians, which is her actual mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    The topic of making the Philippines a better place is a conversation I have with my gf from time to time. She thinks we foreigners have not figured it out yet. The Philippine people would rather have their country run like crap with Filipinos in charge than have foreigners come here and "fix things".

We recently talked of something as simple as roads. I said: If Philippines is such a poor country, why do they fix the roads 10 times when they could do it once the right way and never worry about it again. It is cheaper to do it only once. Of course she replied: This is Philippines and this is how we do it here and if you don't like it why are you here. :yawn:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Did you tell her why? lol

6. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    You may not know it, by my forum replies, but when it comes to the gf I know when to shut up. :clown:

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I agree 100% and for sure my wife agrees with your GF. Furthermore, If they want to see improvements they emigrate. It works. Many seem happy here as middle class, never to get rich.

• Like Like x 2
  8. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    How would you define the Filipino middle class and what percent of the population is that?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  9. djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Filipino middle class are young professionals who basically (to make it simple) have the credit and capacity to pay for a new or used late model car and a home, even through pag-ibig. In the 80’s there was no middle class here. Now the millennials are benefiting from a good economy where I mentioned earlier, the old missionaries of earlier times have become irrelevant as the people become wealthier. It seems that their numbers are growing based on the new subdivisions like Carmella springing up. These houses are primarily owned by young Filipino middle class. If you wish, you can look up the percentage of 20-50 year olds who qualify for home loans and auto loans as well (motorcycles do not count as they are used by all income groups).

• Thanks Thanks x 1