Dumaguete Info Search

Auto costs

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by cabb, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    In addition to all that's been said already:
    1. traffic rules in the Philippines are pretty much the same as everywhere else,
    2. however, because there's so many without a drivers license (but still drive) and quite a few who have one but "bought it" (corruption anyone?) and
    3. because those traffic rules are mostly not enforced,
    it is wise to live by only one rule here when driving: always assume all other drivers are bungol (deaf) and blind and don't know the rules.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 12
    And ignorant, aggressive and trying ti take advantage from each opportunity regardless what happened and who caused it.

Together with corrupt traffic enforcers and police they are able to give you a lot of problems.

I fully agree with your post. Best advice I can give to all of us is to fly under the radar.

It's more fun in the Philippines.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I'm not easily insulted and I understand where you are coming from....no worries.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    There's a place called (Richmond) part of Vancouver Canada. One intersection I counted 16 sets of traffic lighst (no exaggeration) I use to pick the Asawa up from work and she worked 4 Kilometers away. I had to go through 11 intersections with traffic lights. I spent more time stopped than driving. Point being is I would not want the Philippines to change a thing or Yah may as well go back to the 1st Turd World. Many great points have been made. Always stay alert and focused if driving in the Philippines. Expect anything and everything to come at Yah and always give way to Scooters no matter if they are on left, right, front, behind because they will not give it to you and never expect that here. Almost 4 years here driving and no accident yet. Stay safe out there!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Sound like driving from Mactan airport down south at Christmas. Well anytime really.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 12
    That is by far the most terrible trip I can imagine.

Did it twice to pick someone from the airport. There was no other choice. It took me more than 7 hours. Absolutely annoying.

Never again.
    Next time I'll expect visitors for Christmas they should come a few days earlier, spend one night in Cebu and take a plane next day. Or going by boat to Duma. Takes a lot of time as well but much more convenient.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I have also done the trip as someone flying in landing I think it was about the 23rd. Took 5 hrs to south of Cebu, Argao. Dislike that trip on a good day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I would like to hear that story but I am lucky, my asawa bought and built her own house. Despite what others say about not letting or wanting their spouses work it can have its advantages.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    It's very long, maybe over a beer sometime when we're both in the Philippines. Let me start with some of the highlights.
    Buying land recommended by relatives with just pictures.
    Buying untitled land with deed of sale.
    Buying land not on a road.
    Using a lawyer who used some local as an assistant.
    Having to pay the taxes at the end even thought the seller had agreed to do that.
    Having to track down 7 children to get the sale document signed when he passed away.
    Having to do a subdivision plan for the property.
    Took 5 years to get title.
    Second purchase was a 90% finished house.
    Used a local lawyer and things went ok, but still fixing up things on the house.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    As you are now aware (and others should follow), it is best to negotiate a reduced price and the buyer takes on the processing (including paying taxes). My wife, with no training in this, has done so. Being the Philippines, it is a case of being messed about and going through hoops that are not required in a normal country - but it is the only way to be reasonably sure.

A very pleasant and intelligent Filipino builder told me "Don't trust any Filipino - and that includes me". Turned out to be very sound advice.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1