Dumaguete Info Search

Other Best Posts in Thread: Bacong vs Valencia

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,608 / 2,891
    Is that the lot price? If so, then land is even more crazily expensive than I thought. They give as a reason for not allowing foreigners to own land that it would push up prices (the real reason being they don't want foreigners to have any involvement in their country other than input money) - with 10,000 already being asked in some areas (Daro) a 500 sq m lot would cost 5m pesos or about $100,000, so how much more expensive can it get to buy just the scrap of land? After all, looking around, I don't see the Kardashians, Beckhams, Middle-Eastern oil sheikhs or other wealthy Globe-trotters mooring their yachts offshore - it will take a huge change in the country to attract the really wealthy.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. reich31e

reich31e DI Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 12
    'Almost all Filipinos had Spanish or Spanish-sounding surnames imposed on them for taxation purposes, but a number of them have indigenous Filipino surnames. On November 21, 1849, Governor General Narciso Clavería y Zaldúa issued a decree stating that Filipinos should adopt Spanish surnames to make census counting easier.' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_name)

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,857 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, with the help from the locals.

• Like Like x 2
    • Genius Genius x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,608 / 2,891
    I was doing the equivalent of giving teacher an apple!

BUT, I do think it is a voluntary job which gets little thanks. The thousands of postings NOT moderated are not counted, we only notice the VERY FEW where moderation takes place - and with a few odd people who come on the Forum briefly and cause trouble, we have the moderators to thank for dealing with them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes you're wrong. Just take a look at facebook/marketplace ads for land for sale or house and lot for sale (hundreds of advertisements even just in the Dumaguete area) and you'll struggle to find even a single ad where the area of land and/or house is described with m2, I didn't count the ads but am willing to bet that over 99% of them use sqm (not msq) to describe area.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you look at history many times (foreigner in special) there have been talked about a bubble in the real estate in the Philippines, but as far as I know, there have not been any, if I look up to 70 years back. The reasons many of you have already mentioned here, no.1 reason is for sure it's not poor people who own the land and properties, and the owners don't want or need sell to discount prices. You can already see the prices here in the Philippines reach a level where it's not cheap anymore compared to other countries. Though, you can still buy land to 3-500 pesos sqm in some locations

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Well I guess at over a 100k in Pounds Sterling for a lot plus the cost of the build, opens up options elsewhere in the world.
    I have never figured out how the Peso has remained so strong over the years, considering outside of Manila and a few other major cities so little has changed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mangoman

mangoman DI Junior Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +125 / 4
    Let's hope so.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    From the point of view of a local, I think Valencia is way better in many ways-----peace and order, climate, surroundings, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There has been a lot for sale on Aldecoa down from SUMC and it is has on its sign, drum roll please, 22,000P per square meter. It has been for sale for at least 5 years. I have no idea why it is taking so long to sell. :hilarious:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2