Dumaguete Info Search

Bad mobile internet north of Bais

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Dr. Shiva, Jul 15, 2023.

1. OP
    OP
    Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    I'm in Dumaguete now and still having some issues. There is even 5G full signal and still are web pages outside from the Philippines quite difficult and slow to access. A speed test with Cebu shows me a speed over 50 Mbit/s which looks quite good. Therefore I assume that there is a relay issue from the Philippines to international sites. Interesting is that some of the websites are working much better than others.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. dadof3at1ce

dadof3at1ce DI Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +113 / 11

Just curious, have you tried running a vpn while trying to connect? I would think that might solve some of the issues.

3. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Disclaimer: it is Sunday evening, mostly during the week my speeds don't get anywhere near what is shown below.
    Right now though I can't really complain about my internet speed (PLDT fiber).
    In the first picture below the (download) speed from a server within the Philippines is 130 Mbps (which equals around 16 MB/s, since there's 8 bits in a byte)
    When I pick a server outside the Philippines, the speed goes down substantially to 77 Mbps (around 9.5 MB/s), but still quite acceptable.
    View attachment upload_2023-7-23_22-13-53.png

As to what's "acceptable" speed, the following scheme might help to get an idea.

View attachment upload_2023-7-23_22-13-17.png

Another way to approach bandwidth is to say: as long as I can download a movie faster than I can watch it, it's all fine.
    Obviously though, with multiple family members using the same connection at the same time, and with the "internet of things" already here, it is smart to have some reserve bandwidth.
    In all honesty though, as long as you get what you pay for in terms of bandwidth, I don't see why people would want/need a bandwidth of 200 Mbps or even more. A lot of that is a marketing gimmick.

When using a VPN to watch streams or download stuff, the obtained bandwidth doesn't just depend on your Filipino provider but also on the speed of the particular server in the VPN network that you use. Speed through a VPN will never be higher than without a VPN but it can get substantially slower.
    In my case, using PureVPN, I get around 60 Mbps both through their server in the Netherlands and in Belgium.
    Still plenty high.

View attachment upload_2023-7-23_22-28-26.png

4. dadof3at1ce

dadof3at1ce DI Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +113 / 11

That's a good point some people may not understand. A VPN has nothing really to do with speed, although it can depending on if the provider is throttling it. I haven't used mine enough to notice if there is a difference or not-they claim they do not throttle but i will eventually find out. A VPN can speed up certain web sites when first opening the page though because it is simply easier on those sites-security issues- if you are shown to be in the same country. Of course I have heard-but not yet experienced- a site that does not allow it to be connected via VPN. Those from what I have heard are rare but do exist.

5. OP
    OP
    Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    I noticed that the Globe mobile network issues were only on Negros Oriental. On west Cebu island and on Leyte not any issues. Even in Cebu City not any issues. Even all the hotels and lodges have better and more stable internet this year. Generally said that the internet access is better than on year 2019 in the past.

6. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Well not really. I know a few spots in Dumaguete where Globe is better than Smart. Or Smart better than Globe. I know because I have two SIM cards installed in my phone. One Globe and one Smart.

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk