Dumaguete Info Search

Balikbayan Visa Balikbayan Privileges

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by jimeve, Oct 21, 2011.

1. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    You cannot enter the country with one passport and leave with another.
    With Dual citizenship it is best to present the 2 passports upon arrival and leave also with presenting the 2 passports,
    Both passports will receive an entry stamp
    This way you don't have to pay the traveltax (1,620 pesos)
    For the (foreign) husband just ask for Balickbayan, if you enter the country together you have the right for BB
    Upon check inn (to leave the Philippines)just present the foreign passport to the airline clerk

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    She should present both passports when entering/leaving the Philippines. In order to avail of the BB privilege she must establish she is Filipino, either passport or BC will do that.

Larry

3. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You'd use the PI passport so staying without paying visa fees is an obvious path for a Filipino citizen whose PI passport has been stamped at entry. Then use the other one when you leave- or both.

Though one Filipino I know who comes back and forth from the US swears he doesnt have a PI passport and just shows some document-I forget what it is, which satisfies PI customs.

4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I flew in once with my daughter and wife. My daughter was flying on her U.S. passport and we presented her U.S. and PI passport. The agent said that was fine and stamped both passports.
    Ron

5. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    When you enter the Philippines only on your Philippino passport you will have to pay traveltax by leaving the country.
    When leaving the country with your Philippino passport stamped at entry, immigration may ask for a visa for your next destination.
    Your foreign passport may not be accepted while no entry stamp.

6. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Hi Larry, very informative as always, many thanks, and thanks to all for the feedback...........
    I guess that if we were to carry with us both passports and Philippine citizenship retention/reacquisition Certificate for my wife and my passport and a copy of Marriage Certificate for myself, we would be covered for all eventualities, Customs Officer having a bad day excluded!!...;-))
    Which are the benefits for Balikbayans and how to get them?
    The free one year Visa by BB stamp on the passport is quiet straightforward (by the way, if my wife was to present her foreigner passport, along with her Filipino one, does she have to have her foreign passport BB stamped too?), how do you get to avoid paying the traveltax (is it the same thing as the airport tax?)? I was told that to be traveltax exempted my wife would have to queue into the Overseas Workers line but that would not make sense if she was to get a BB stamp on her foreign passport and I would still have to pay it....please clarify.
    Can one renew the BB one year free visa by simply leaving the Phils and travelling lets say to Hong Kong, to return just a day later and if so, can this be done for an unlimited number of times and even before the previous BB one year visa is expired?
    Any other benefits and how to get them?
    Lots of questions, true, but when it comes to Filipino bureaucracy, things are never straightforward...;-(
    Cheers, Marco.

7. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    It's my understanding that if she present's both passports no matter what one she used to leave your home country, she will be stamped into the PI with no restrictions or any time limit. That is what happened for my duel citizen daughter. And you should get your BB stamp.

Unless the rules have changed, if you stay less than a year and leave on a foreign passport there is no Philippine tax, If you stay longer than a year or leave at any time on a PI passport tax applies. Airport fee's always apply.
    Ron

8. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
  9. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Excellent link........many thanks firefly!!

10. Jimbo

Jimbo DI Member Restricted Account Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +43 / 27
    It doesn't matter of your wife has given up her Filipino citizenship and only has a foreign passport. She will always be considered a Filipina and be able to use balikbayan.