Dumaguete Info Search

Barangay flood risks

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by AndyJ, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Ah, you are looking for "areal flooding" or "flash flooding" maps. That is not going to be covered in those overlays. Maybe a Google search for "areal flooding map Philippines" would help you out? Not sure if they have those but that is what you are probably looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Okay thanks found what I was looking for :thumbsup: anyone else interested go to this link, and zoom in, and choose what you wish to look at: (5/25/100 Year)
    Met-Hydro Decision Support Infosys

This is sort of what I was after mate, zooming right in either means we do not get flooding outside of Dumaguete and Siaton areas or there is no data for these outer areas. Many years ago my wife's family lived in Siaton and were caught in a major flood stranded in the middle of the river for almost a week before being rescued. That is the kind of thing I was hoping to avoid. Looking at the attached screenshot I took of the map it looks like only the two areas are majorly affected due to the river systems here...

Dumaguete-Negros Oriental 100 year Flooding Map.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    3 areas in your screenshot. Bayawan, Siaton and Dumaguete. Zoom out a bit more and I suspect you will see Bais, Tanjay and San Carlos also have flooding as well. It's only natural that the larger cities/towns will have flooding....civilization tends to grow where fresh water hits salt water.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    AndyJ

AndyJ DI New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks Brian, that's another great link. Definitely looks like the south part of the city is lower risk - though I get what other posters are saying about asking locals as well and using my eyes. I don't mind so much if I can't get into the city if the Banica floods - I can just hole up at home and wait it out.

• Like Like x 1