Dumaguete Info Search

Be Careful What You Wish For

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by swampstar, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    The conclusion I have is that it's connected to evolution.
    The evolution of the typical long nose involved many, many previous generations that had to prepare, organize and store for long cold winters. Family bloodlines that couldn't do this, didn't make it.
    However, the evolution of people from a warm climate, where food could be handily be collected by a a walk through the forest, even in the dead of winter did not include this genetic filter.

2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    The parts add up to more than the whole

I agree with the cumulative position of any group is based on the efforts of the individuals. It is my perception that in the Philippines everyone (outside the clan or family) is for themselves. They does not seem in my perception that they believe that they may just all live a better life if they try their best themselves. There does not seem too be much teamwork going on. I think in the past that is what made the USA successful. I am not sure with the polarization that has gone on in the USA that is still the case.

3. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As well as within the family. That's where the strongest and most natural putting of heads together would start-and does I think in the families that are doing well.

4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    But here is where the problem lies. While there is nothing wrong with a family looking out for itself, there is a problem when that family makes a joint effort to screw any other family that is not in their "circle". The idea of a free market is nonexistent here. Instead of looking at what the competition is doing and why they might be more successful and then adjusting your family business to meet what the market desires they would just rather call in a favor to screw that competition up. That is counter productive for a country to thrive.