Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Best Dining in Dumaguete City - Your Opinions Wanted!!!

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I finally made it to Spices for lunch. I enjoyed the yellow chicken curry and recommend it. I had a fruit shake that was also very good. They were out of many Indian dishes but told me the ingrediants will arrive soon and I will try out the Marsala when they arrive. I had the naan bread instead of rice.
    The restaurant was spotless, three wall fans were on, and a nice breeze flowing through the open windows. Service was excellent.
    I saw a refrigerator with plenty of cold beer. They also have wine from Australia and Chili.
    So it is great to have a spicey-food restaurant here.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I just dined at Adamo for lunch and found it an excellent experience. The decor is VERY modern; some may not like the concrete but I love natural materials. I asked many questions of the owner (12 years restaurant experience in Manila and the US) because I could see he was very interested in his food and to make the best possible experience for his customers. Unlike almost all other places I have been to in The Philippines, he came to ask if everything was okay for us. The menu is small but the Management frequently change it - in my opinion this is much better than a large 'hard to decide' menu which remains static. The frequent changes of menu allow the restaurant to use locally-sourced products (important part of their ethos) as and when they are in season and of high quality. My wife and I shared the 'Meat Platter' at P575 for 2 to 4 persons; we were unable to finish it and took the excess home. The variety of meats and the way they had been cooked was truly excellent; additionally was added a clear soup, potato wedges, some salad and small pickled items to cut through the richness of the pork. The dessert menu was brief (one item) but the chocolate brownie at P99 was excellent and topped with vanilla ice cream. It was enough for both of us to share. There is a different dinner menu and also they do regular food testing sessions (they show when on their FB page). I enjoyed it there and would definitely recommend it.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Gia’s (Vegan style) 300 m east off of Hibbard Road on Neva Restaurant Road. Gia’s is a new restaurant started by a Nutrionist from Silliman University. It looks like a private house but they stand a sign outside after opening. Attach part of their menu (photo).
    A friend and I ate their and the food is very good and not expensive. Seating is outside under roofing and umbrella tables at the rear side of the house adjacent to the kitchen.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 7
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  4. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Korean: PEARL, slightly better, on Hibbard down from Bianco
    Pizza / Italian: my vote is PASTA KING, Locsin at Santa Catalina, shouldn't vote on pizza tho, haven't been to Rolling Pin yet, maybe next week..
    Best Eggs Benedict: ALIMA, followed closely by CASABLANCA.
    Best in Sibulan? Was going to say AZALEA, but it's in San Jose on the way to Lake Balinsasayao, great views / quiet / ambience / good food

In general, ALIMA and ANDAMO, both new places run by local folks who have experience in the states, have some of the Best Tastes. The Pan-Seared fish at ALIMA is out of this world (as is the Asian Chicken Salad), around the corner behind the 7-11 slightly across from Silliman Med Cntr. ADAMO behind EA car wash (best car wash <grin>), National just north of Cangs.

Best Humba; GABBI'S on Rivero, also ESTRELLA'S, Zamora near Valencia Square and LANTAW
    Best Schnitzel: CASABLANCA (& big enough to feed a family)

You also missed Best M*xic*n (or is that still a no-no?).. SENIORITA'S is so m*xic*n that when the waitress was asked if the owner was from the United States, she replied, "No Sir, he's from Texas.".....

Best Filet Mignon: haven't found it yet, agree with Jens,
    Ribeye: maybe SALAYA.

AND FOR G**D'S SAKE, will someone teach restaurant staffs (and owners and managers) here that Appetizers come FIRST, followed 15 min later (or so) by the MAIN COURSES, SERVED TOGETHER, REPEAT, TOGETHER, REPEAT, TOGETHER...WHY is that so difficult, not 20 minutes apart... ??? (i know, picky, picky, picky)...

Thanks Irenicus

• Like Like x 7
  5. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Filet mignon at Cafe racer? I tried this once and it is "you get what you pay for" but far from good. For good steak I go to Flip-flops or Casablanca (which is a great option for other dishes as well).

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    One of the reasons you had more frequency of infections when you first arrived would have been your lower immunity to the specific pathogens in the Philippines. Although you will have met SIMILAR types in your home country they would have had some antigenic differences. The longer you stay in a new country the more your body meets new organisms and becomes immune to them (unless they kill you first). In fact, getting low-grade infections is good as it helps develop immunity which may prevent more serious infections in the future - it is a bit like being vaccinated.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Couple updates. Last night, mostly cuz of posts here, we tried Andy's Grill, hidden in the residential area near robinson's .... WOW, had a steak, if the other dishes are as good as that and the Hunter's Steak, Andy's will be a regular spot. Small, but very good.

Note, we rarely make reservations, unlike California, where it's a chore. See story below after serious stuff, and GK, the cut up napkins i've heard, is some barato's (cheapskate's) idea of saving money, DCDWI (Dumaguete City, Deal With It). I think whoever told me that was serious...

By the way, i'm starting a movement (so far, only one person). I've heard all sorts of excuses about "out of stock," from VENDOR to INATTENTIVE MANAGER to "EVERYTHING COMES FROM CEBU," but with so many new good restaurants, i'm going to cut (not eliminate) my visits drastically to places where half the menu is "out of stock" way-too-often. Owners beware, i've heard that many restaurant owners simply don't buy stuff because they're too cheap to tie up funds in inventory. If that's true, they will eventually lose me and other customers. Time to find another business if that's the case, or redo ur menu. .

Short story but typical of california, my previous residence. Hot new restaurant opens, decide to make a reservation just to try it out, at 70 yrs old not something we did often. Called, "sorry, but we are booked for the next six weeks." I said, "what the hell, i'll take something in the 7th week." Restaurant: "sorry, but we only take reservations 6 weeks in advance..." Never went there in the next decade, it closed. Pretentious jerks. Typical, one reason i'm here, no longer there.. <grin>...

• Like Like x 6
  8. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Best fancy dining I have found is El Dorado in Dauin. I was impressed by the good selections at El Dorado. It is typical resort food but the prices are quite good and the selections are great. 7 people were stuffed for about 4,000 pesos and that's with appetizers, a couple drinks each, main courses and dessert. Entrance fee is 200 but it is all consumable. Its pretty fancy at that price.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. fritz

fritz DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +95 / 5
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Relaxing View Restaurant (Relaxing View Restaurant - San José, Negros Oriental, Philippines - Breakfast & Brunch Restaurant | Facebook) in
    San Jose opened some weeks ago and I tried it last Saturday!
    The Menu opens a lot of choices of very different kind of food and meals - I tried a Chicken Curry with Roti and my Wife had a Fish and was very happy with that choice.
    The place is really very relaxing and give you a brilliant view to Cebu.
    For me a good place for afternoon coffee or sandwich on my way home from the beach! :happy:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. davewe

davewe DI Junior Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +59 / 7
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Today, after re-reading this thread we passed by El Dorado after swimming at the beach. I remember and stopped in. The menu was extensive, the restaurant nice with a great ocean view. The 2 entrees we had were both excellent. The prices were consistent with resort prices; meaning a bit higher (though not too much) than regular restaurant prices.

I suppose the only downside is the P200 entry. Janet and I often just split an entree but the 200 per person meant we got two. That turned out OK since both were excellent.

All in all a nice suggestion - Janet thanks you!

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1