Dumaguete Info Search

Best Dining in Dumaguete City - Your Opinions Wanted!!!

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Irenicus, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yes they have Filipino food. Western (primarily European) food is their specialty.

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,538 / 1,016
    Rollin Pin has my favorite, a freshly baked bagel toasted with cream cheese

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    For a great new place (sorta new, 6 months), check out Coffee Groove in valencia. Had the biscuits and gravy fantastic. it has it's own thread..
    Review - Coffee groove,valencia

4. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    are the biscuits homemade and is the gravy from a mix ? I ask because I grew up on Biscuits and Gravy :smile:

5. Edward K

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    SF had some great B & G also, so i missed it a lot. The biscuits are homemade, and i'm pretty sure the mushroom gravy is homemade. I think the owner is pretty specific about her cooking, she's there all the time....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks... homemade biscuits oh my... and its just down the street :smile:

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Never had that before, must be an American thing.

8. Edward K

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Yeah, biscuits and gravy was definitely an American thing, although the "mushroom gravy" is out of the ordinary... Mostly southern, althou present in many "foodie" city breakfast menus throughout the US. The dish at Coffee Groove is very well done. Best to order two pieces...

From Wikipedia.org << "...Biscuits and gravy is a popular breakfast dish in the US, especially in the South. The dish consists of soft dough biscuits covered in either sawmill or meat gravy, made from the drippings of cooked pork sausage, white flour, milk, and often (but not always) bits of sausage, bacon, ground beef, or other meat. The gravy is often flavored with black pepper.">>

From the same article, under history: "..The meal emerged as a distinct regional dish after the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783), when stocks of foodstuffs were in short supply. Breakfast was necessarily the most substantial meal of the day in the South, for a person facing a day of work on the plantations. In addition, the lack of supplies and money meant it had to be cheap.

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Jim I tend to think it is a little like our Yorkshire pudding and gravy :pompus:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. danbandanna

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    But the "best gravy is made from bacon drippings and flour with black pepper... the taste of home... can make my own gravy but good biscuits are too much trouble so will check out Coffee Groove next week :smile: