Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education Best High Schools in Dumaguete?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by lhyn630, Apr 6, 2011.

1. lhyn630

lhyn630 One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi!

I am looking for a High School in Dumaguete that offers quality education for my nephew, any suggestion please... :smile:

And may I know how much their tuition fees (range or approx)?

I cannot find any reviews in the net. :(

Thank you! :smile:

2. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hi let me try to help.....
    If you want a brain drain training for high school to be prepared for a future university life I think this schools are the best:
    1. Holy Cross High School - very good in the field of Mathematics and on the spot memorization, it must be because Math is teach in regular English and Chinese language. Memorization : because there are some sentence in Chinese that you'll need to memorize on the spot.

2. Silliman University - High School Department - Good in English/leadership

3. Don Bosco - Kinda good school too but not familiar with the Don Bosco here, but Don Bosco in Cebu/Manila they're doing good.

Best Classroom Facilities:

1. Negros Oriental Montessori International School - aircondition and small ratio 1 teacher for 7-15 students

2. Holy Cross High School - aircondition with small ratio 1 teacher for 20-25 students

3. Silliman University High School - fresh air due lots of tress, prevelege to enter the biggest library in the Philippines " S.U. library"

4. Don Bosco - St. luis - cozy fresh air with tress around too and a good parking lot

The school area:

1. Silliman University High school - has basketball/volleyball/football courts, coverd gym, swimming pool/ huge library/ farm / mini zoo

2. Don Bosco - St. Luis - basketball/volleyball courts/ covered gym

3. Holy Cross High School - basketball/ volleball court/ covered gym

other schools around:
    1. Royal Oaks International School
    2. St. Paul
    3. Cittadini
    4. Foundation
    5. Presbyterian
    6. NOHS

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    That is a good list, but as Newbie27 would probably agree, you need to investigate the schools yourself. Unfortunately, class is not in session so it is not possible to see what really goes on. You will have to take the word of others or the administration and the administration is trying to sell you something so you have to take that with a grain of salt.

It is an important decision to make because if it is not a good fit, transferring between schools is frowned upon during the school-year.

Personally, my daughter is in Holy Cross so I am biased. If you compare Silliman and Holy Cross, the differences are night in day. One school (Holy Cross) is run by Catholic nuns from Taiwan and the other is a protestant school that mostly rides on an old reputation.

If you have an understanding of the way the world is headed, you will know that Chinese / Mandarin is going to be one of the most important languages to know and would give any child an edge over kids that cannot speak Chinese.

If your nephew does not already know some Mandarin, it might be hard for him to get up to speed at Holy Cross and he will need tutoring. I am sure it is worth it though. I saw a poster at the New Cangs for tutoring in conversational Mandarin if you are interested.

The Devil's advocate in me says that you need to keep in mind the potential of your nephew. A few things to ponder:

• How is he doing in school now?
    • Is he eager to learn?
    • Is this idea to put him in a private school because of the prestige involved or is it because he is a worthy investment?

Making a commitment of this level to someone is a lot to take on because not only will you have to pay the tuition, but any other costs associated with his education. If the school you choose is not close to the home then transportation will have to be provided and guess who is going to pay for that? There is textbooks, "solicitations", costumes for school plays and special events, snacks.. the list goes on and on! The tuition is just a fraction of the actual cost of sponsoring a child.

It would be a shame to invest in him if his aspiration is not high. I guess there is a need for trike drivers that can speak Mandarin though! To be perfectly blunt, there is no sense in putting a dim bulb in a string of good Christmas lights

I am about to step on some toes to make my point, but is a perfect and valid example:

A poster here, who claims to have attended a top notch medical school and has a master's degree from a prestigious university that is one of the best in all of Asia does not know how to spell the word "college" correctly even though he or she spent 8 years in college. I could expand on this train of thought but I don't want to be accused of flaming!

I know that all you asked was which schools are best, but do consider the real implications of making the decision to sponsor the education of a child before you do it.

• If you put the child in a school above their abilities or they just are not that interested in learning and they wash out or fail, you will be blamed.
    • If you do this and then you notice for yourself that the kid is not really taking your gift seriously and you get fed up and decide you do not want to be on the hook for 8 years (or more if the a master's degree is the plan) and you quit paying the tuition an all related expenses, you will be at fault.
    • If you fall on hard times financially and can no longer afford to provide this education you will be called all sorts of things like "kuripot" and be demonized.
    • People in the family will see your generosity and you will be expected to pay for the other children as time progresses.

Just sayin...

• Like Like x 1
  4. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    During my time when I was a student at Holy Cross High School I remember its somewhat a sister school of Sacred Heart School for boys in Cebu since we have the same principal from that school. Education on that school is taught in a standard way...we also won or runners up with lots of quizbee/competitions in local, regional, national competition in English or in Chinese form specially those batches ahead of me. I don't know what happend now, it suddenly manage by Taiwanese sisters. There is a special section for Chinese class for transferee students to make learning Chinese language in a simple way. It's the best place if you want your child to learn Chinese. I just get back here, last time I was here was in the 90's. I remember... me, a German classmate, a Korean classmate and a few Filipino classmates are not Chinese but we don't have problems with that school, all we have to do is to study to pass every exams. Speaking of College / University life here in Dumaguete, I don't have much idea since I didn't finish my college/ University education in this City but you can ask me anything about Velez College, Ateneo De Manila University & Regis University I can surely answer it. :smile:

Anyway,good luck to your kid wherever he wants to study.... don't worry there are lots of schools here private or public school is your choice. :smile:

5. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    That is quite hard to answer because personally, a school is only as good as its teachers and when you try to go around and listen to the classes in the high schools mentioned above, I do not know how you would rate them after that. So I would have to look at other areas for me to make my list: Catherina Cittadini---teaches good values; Don Bosco, St. Paul University, Dgte. Science High School, Silliman University, Southdale Integrated School, Royal Oaks

6. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    "To be perfectly blunt, there is no sense in putting a dim bulb in a string of good Christmas lights."

Funny, but very true!

7. Yoyax

Yoyax DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can you also help me... What about good elementary schools in Dumaguete, what are these schools?
    School which requires students to speak english at all times.

8. donnellfrederick

donnellfrederick One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    allll school of this time is perfectly better school is the best place of the student

9. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I think I will steer clear of this one

10. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Sorry, but google translator is unable to translate "english"(?) to English. :D