Dumaguete Info Search

Best place for Snorkeling with Whale Sharks.

Discussion in 'Diving and Marine Life' started by gemblue03, Jun 4, 2013.

1. gemblue03

gemblue03 One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You're just on the right thread! Try a new adventure under the water. Discover many beautiful creatures. Have fun snorkeling with whale sharks but you have to be a good swimmer because they are often too fast. Just don't panic and everything will turn out good. After the first encounter with a Whale shark, you will understand why many people consider this the experience of a lifetime. :smile:

Here's a picture for you to look at:

View attachment 9380

Choose wisely. Choose Philippines.

It is more fun in the Philippines.

Attached Files:

2. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    As I am not the greatest swimmer, I wont be swiming with whale sharks.......But I do intend next trip, to visit Oslob in Cebu
    Anybody know other places one can see them? ( from a safe distance ).

3. blessedroxy

blessedroxy DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oslob, Cebu. Swim with the wonderful creatures!

4. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Leave the darn things alone and let them live a natural existence, instead of cruelly interfering with anything and everything for the sake of a few pesos.

5. Black Abbot

Black Abbot DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Olsob ... typical Filipino idiots torturing animals like in a circus to make big bucks. Paying off the involved government agencies to let them verify that all is OK and does not harm the animals.

That's where Greenpeace should have gone with their little rubber-boats. But they were here to meet Sillymanians to verify each other how wonderful they are. And of course it was weekend... nowadays environmental activists don't work for the environment on a weekend.

Oslob, another worldwide acknowledged embarrassment for this country.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Snorkeling? Hmm. How much is the whale shark surfing?

View attachment 9611

Don't support the scum in Oslob who are baiting and trapping these animals for the own selfish gains.

Attached Files:

7. john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Not quite sure how you would contain a whale shark.
    From what I have read some local fishermen have over a period of time, been feeding them to encourage them to surface.
    There is a move to stop people actually swimming with them.
    Each to their own opinions as to how to deal with this, I would personally like to view them from a boat like a lot of other whale watchers without interferring with nature.
    I was not aware that people where riding on their backs till now!

Whale Sharks at Oslob

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    But to view them from a boat requires them to be baited to the surface. If not the chances of seeing them are slim. Whales and dolphins naturally have to surface and sometimes even seek out boats out of curiosity, sharks......not so much.

I don't find that natural at all. If I want to see a wild animal I will Google it and check out the pictures. No need for me to invade their world. I know I wouldn't find it too comforting if Sharks were to find a way to come into my house to view and pet me.

There is a Facebook page to try to stop the whale shark feeding. You can find plenty of other articles where the locals have tied the sharks by the tail to let people go pet them. Some of the locals were quoted as saying it's OK to tie them up for an hour at a time to let groups touch them. Idiots.

9. john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230

10. Black Abbot

Black Abbot DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is extremely invasive in Oslob.

The whale sharks there are all juveniles, they are trained puppies, none of them reaching remotely adult size.

they see a boat on the surface and go there because there is food. Their natural instinct to search for food is almost gone.

They bounce against boat-hulls begging for food. Many of them with infections around the mouth from that "begging". Others with Propeller scars on the back. (no proof it is from Oslob) However they also approach motorized bankas coming from Dumaguete, Bohol, Siquijor etc.

And no, it is NOT curiosity. Whale sharks in Donsol and Southern Leyte don't do anything close to that out of curiosity, they actually disappear if you splash too much snorkeling in Donsol. Or if a diver misbehaves under water in Southern Leyte.

The morons in Oslob "trained" some baby whale-sharks: surface -> boat -> begging.
    Completely taken out of their natural behavior, just to make Huge Bucks. Well whenever they move on, they are an easy catch for fishermen in other areas or the Chinese fishing fleets in Sulu Sea.

By the way foreigners need to pay of course double price.