Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Best way to direct deposit monthly Salary from U.S. Bank to a Philippines Bank Account

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Pigbelk007, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Pigbelk007

Pigbelk007 DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +28 / 4
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hello All Friends in Dumaguete, Can anyone give me any advice and or suggestions that is the best (safest ) way to transfer via direct deposit my monthly salary from the U.S. to a reputable bank in Dumaguete without major delays or massive fees? Any and all ideas will be considered that have or still do work for others there now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by PIfan, Aug 20, 2015 (5 points)
  3. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have an account with BPI and transfer money from my UK account about every 3 months - using internet banking. I've never had a problem and the charges seem minimal when I check the exchange rate. Transfer takes 3 days. BPI internet banking works quite well. The only downside is if you need to use 'counter service' in the bank - prepare for at least a 30 min wait.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Pigbelk007

Ratings:
    +28 / 4
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Is there a way of setting up accounts in advance so that when I arrive in the Philippines the bank account here in the U.S. and the Philippines are linked to transfer between accounts?

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I don't think you will be able to set up an account until you are here, They will need an Address and other details . Id's etc
    They usually Insist on a personal appearance. Many banks here now Follow the KYC ( Know Your Customer) and the money Laundering issues.

JP:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PIfan

PIfan DI Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 9
    Not so many choices anymore, used to have BPI in NYC but gone now. There are some remittance places through PI banks but fees are high and rates low I assume. HSBC still has a New York branch and they have to types of accounts you may be interested in. One is the Premier which requires 100k USD in it and the Advance account that requires a 10k USD balance. You can instantly transfer you r direct deposit in the New York branch to the PI with the click of the mouse, then either secure mail them or call the PI HSBC center and they can give you the rate and lock it in, the money will be available by days end with no fees at BPI or BDO ATM's with your Philippines based ATM or debit card. The Premier service is quite good but the Advance has most of the same features but some fees may be required to get it setup. Cebu City is the closest branch over by Ayala mall

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. PIfan

PIfan DI Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 9
    Best Answer
    Yes with HSBC you can do all the paperwork in the USA and upon arrival in the Philippines you can go to a HSBC branch and they will have a peso and a dollar ATM card plus a security device for online transactions waiting for you. I learned there are HSBC and HSBC Commercial and the Intl ones are Commercial for some reason, had to get a managers check to buy a vehicle and it was a run around in Manila. Transfers take a millisecond and the conversion to the peso account a day or so. You can also take out 2900 dollars a day no fee and then as in Cebu walk to Ayala and do an exchange and get a slightly better rate, take their recipt back to HSBC and deposit into the Peso account. Has taken me awhile to learn all this but I like market rates not .25p or so less

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. OP
    OP
    Pigbelk007

Ratings:
    +28 / 4
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Very good information my friend and I'll be looking into it as we speak. Thanks a lot my friend!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pinoy Photog

Pinoy Photog DI New Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +7 / 2
    Gosee Leo at Commerce bank next to Coco Amigos. He can help you.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Pigbelk007

Ratings:
    +28 / 4
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Thank You

11. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Wells Fargo Bank in the USA and Philippine National Bank have established a link whereby you can set up a Wells Fargo account and a PNB account in advance of arrival to the Philippines.

Not sure exactly how this works, but when I spoke to the Los Angeles, California, Branch of PNB, I was told I had to come in personally to sign up for an account.

Wells Fargo said my first transaction to a PNB account had to occur in person at a Wells Fargo Bank in the US.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/help/faqs/international-remittances/

PNB Los Angeles

If I remember correctly, I will need to set up a Wells Fargo account here in the USA first, then open a USA PNB account thereafter (Los Angeles). And then before departing to the Philippines, I need to make my first transfer from Wells Fargo to the US PNB branch account - and do this in-person transfer at a Wells Fargo branch in the USA.

PNB in Los Angeles told me over the phone that they can assist in paving the way to a Philippine account once I get to the Philippines.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/about/press/2014/pnb-expresssend-remittance-network_0710/

http://blog.timedoctor.com/2015/03/13/whats-the-cheapest-way-to-send-money-to-the-Philippines

https://www.wellsfargo.com/help/faqs/international-remittances/

This is a fairly new linkage, so this is all I know about this - and the above information is based on what both banks told me via telephone conversations.

Let us know what works best for you.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Thanks Thanks x 2