Dumaguete Info Search

bird I.D.?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by kelpguy, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Andrew

Andrew DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I didn't think the bird itself would be 'the one', but perhaps the website in general might have some alternatives? Anyway, I would be interested in the outcome of your quest! I live on the coast in Amlan and although my garden (6,000sqm) is populated with the 'usual' array of coconut trees, avocado, mango etc - it would be fun to introduce some other species that would encourage a wider array of feathered friends. Maybe someone near me would like to pop by sometime and furnish me with a few pointers?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    We built a cheap bird feeder here a few months back for any of the seed feeders like the black headed munia and zebra doves but as of yet we have had no takers, have also though of trying to make a sugar syrup feeder for the olive backed sunbirds as they feed on both insects and nectar.
    We had a pair build a nest on the outside of the window grill this year and raised two babies who fledged.

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :smile: For the last couple of years we have had a couple of varieties nesting in our Mango and Jack Fruit trees,
    normal little things that I would never know the names of, They come each year and seem successful in rearing, My biggest problem is (and I hate to do it) is clear the Roof Eve space on the front where it falls to the gutters, it is like a Tunnel that they enjoy but as you can imagine the nests reduce the water flow when and I say when, it rains.
    I used to get them build in the gutters but this year we have escaped this I have put netting over the entire gutter system, stops leaves also. My favourites are the little Rice birds as my daughter calls them. Brown with a black head and a pure white beak a little like a Budgy, they come every year and have been very successful with their young.
    There is one that drives my dogs spare, they are like a fantail, always spreading the tail like a fan and up and down as they drink or hop about. being white edged it attracts the Dogs.
    I am not authority on birds at all but it is nice to site on the terrace and watch the Activity.:thumbsup:

JP :bag: :wink:

4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The rice birds are the black headed munias jack, can be a real pest in the rice fields.
    The fan tails also make me laugh as seen many a dog with its tail between its legs with a fantail trying to pull lumps of hair of its back, especially in breeding season.

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :cautious: Isn't it odd how little things like a pest bird can be looked at so Differently at times. The 4 I have this Morning are cute little Buggers and I don't think I will shoo them away as I am not growing Rice this year LOL :wideyed:

JP :bag::whistling:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andrew

Andrew DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I have some handy Bamboo workers opposite me (currently in my garden building a beach sun/viewing platform). I think the suggestion of 'Feeders' is excellent. I reckon I'll get one of the guys to rustle something up and see how we go. I've noticed a few pet food suppliers in Tanjay so I'll also see what morsels they suggest for birds. Haven't considered a 'sugar syrup' device - wouldn't that be ant heaven?

Are there any native berry trees that could be planted?
    Does anyone suggest putting out some water bowls in shady areas/trees possibly?

Apologies for all the questions - Such a 'pet project' is quite fun (for me anyhow) and I can teach my boy all about our visitors when he's a bit older too!

7. blueskies

blueskies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +204 / 35
    I have 5 birdhouses that is installed in different trees and flowers, some birds eats the insects that stays inside and the rest are just chilling:singing::singing::sleep:. But i guess my Mulberry trees that bares fruit all year round attracts more different birds.

If anyone whats a cut to plant i will be very happy to share.:cat::cat::cat:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FYI

• Like Like x 1
  9. DavyL200

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Very cool, I will get our guy on some of these and give them a try :smile:

• Like Like x 1