Dumaguete Info Search

Biryani Point, Bacong

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Mark K, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    I rarely write restaurant reviews. Only if a place is truly dreadful or massively exceeds my expectations can I be bothered.

Biryani Point fits into the latter category. I went there last night because of a friend's recommendation and was more than pleasantly surprised.

Don't be put off by the look of the place. It doesn't look like a place you'd want to eat at, and it certainly isn't going to win any awards for ambience (basically it has none), but if, like me, you're a fan of Indian food, you have to visit this place.

I was brought up on Indian food in London and have visited India and other South Asian countries several times, so I know a good (and bad) curry when I find one. These were delicious and authentic. By no means the best Indian meal I've ever eaten, but considering where we are, it was fantastic.

The owner (from South India) was friendly, welcoming and accommodating.

They don't serve alcohol (Muslim) but the owner kindly allowed us to buy some beer from across the street and drink there.

All-in-all, I was a very satisfied customer and I'll be returning frequenting. If you want some real Indian food I suggest you do too.

If you're wondering where it is, it's almost directly opposite Octagon Sports Bar.

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. btd

btd DI Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 1
    100% Agree. I've tried all Indian restaurants in Cebu City and a couple in Manila widely regarded as the best in the city. IMO, the taste of the food at Biryani Point even tops all of those. What a blessing for fans of Indian food. And right here in the Dumaguete area of all places.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. btd

btd DI Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 1
    PS: The restaurant remains open :woot:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    (Largely) agreed. Not bad given where we are and the resources to hand. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the menu a take on Malaysian-Indian?

I don’t like to give bad reviews either, but mine was average upon my visit. I’ll try again though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    He is from south india so he brings everything here from there inc the basmati rice via boxes. I think its one of the best indian meals ive had but if hes really busy catering for big groups its better to wait and come another day.

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    are they open for lunch?

7. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yes, I been there for lunch, food is authentic Indian food, it's great IMHO, downside no comfortable chairs, and close to the highway. Next time I will bring food at home

• Like Like x 1
  8. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Are they in the same compound as Octagon?

9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    No,they are opposite side ot the road,he has a bakery at the front and he cooks behind and seating is to the right. He will deliver free of charge if you order enough. Add the fb page pat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Had lunch there today. Aircon and fan going. Place very clean. They said they sanitized everything daily. Big menu, ordered chicken marsala tika, very good but expensive for what you get. Pay for bread and rice separate. Service excellent, polite, and food served fast enough. Will go back and try another dish.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1