Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Biryani Point, Bacong

1. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    I rarely write restaurant reviews. Only if a place is truly dreadful or massively exceeds my expectations can I be bothered.

Biryani Point fits into the latter category. I went there last night because of a friend's recommendation and was more than pleasantly surprised.

Don't be put off by the look of the place. It doesn't look like a place you'd want to eat at, and it certainly isn't going to win any awards for ambience (basically it has none), but if, like me, you're a fan of Indian food, you have to visit this place.

I was brought up on Indian food in London and have visited India and other South Asian countries several times, so I know a good (and bad) curry when I find one. These were delicious and authentic. By no means the best Indian meal I've ever eaten, but considering where we are, it was fantastic.

The owner (from South India) was friendly, welcoming and accommodating.

They don't serve alcohol (Muslim) but the owner kindly allowed us to buy some beer from across the street and drink there.

All-in-all, I was a very satisfied customer and I'll be returning frequenting. If you want some real Indian food I suggest you do too.

If you're wondering where it is, it's almost directly opposite Octagon Sports Bar.

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    There has been a lot of feedback already on Biryani Point Bacong restaurant, I believe, mostly positive.

I have no complaints. I have been to the Bacong restaurant three times and the Dumaguete one sampled once so far was the same taste and quality. I have only tried Indian food in one other joint in the area and BP is superior, in my opinion. May well give Spicy Food House a go soon, though tend to go for Thai there.

As mentioned, the owner is very obliging and will do his best to accommodate your particular taste. The only thing I could fault from the recent visit was that after stressing twice to the staff member that I wanted a Madras, but with the heat turned up towards Vindaloo, I got a standard Madras. That did not happen when the owner was there 100% of the time to oversee. That's something to watch for, but minor detail. The owner did arrive, a short while after we ordered and after the meal I mentioned this to him and he went into detail about the different type of chillies used in Vindaloo sauce.

Wife enjoyed a prawn Biryani, as she's not a chilli fan.

just over PHP1k for two dishes (I got a naan bread with mine and shared the wife's rice), two soft drinks, both ginger/lemon and three poppodoms with chutney. Not bad at all.

They do not sell alcoholic drinks. Not sure if you can take your own, if it's what you like to do. I did not ask.

Will return there.

• Informative Informative x 5
  3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    In Bayawan there is (Hazula Outdoors) Apparently the fine Owner will prepare any Indian dish you pre-order. This is from Trip Advisor>
    Amazing spot at the beach! Good to swim and eat!
    It was my first time to be part of a "food experience". The owner asked me what food I like, when I made my reservation and we discovered our common love for Indian dishes. He promised me to prepare my favourite dish: Dry Bhindi Sabzi! So when I had my "food experience", I was served with a delicious dry fried okra, chickpeas hummus and roti!

Added note. Would imagine that any Indian Restaurant would at least consider making the dish for you so call in and inquire! Biryani contact 0975 444 8001 open 10am

- https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Rest...ty_Negros_Oriental_Negros_Island_Visayas.html

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  4. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    Biryani Point now has a new restaurant in the city, as well as the Bacong one. Sited on EJ Blanco Ext. Same owner/cook.

Sampled prawn biryani and chicken Madras today and as per the original. I asked the owner how he is managing two sites and ensuring the quality is the same at both. He said he prepares all the ingredients himself for both sites and then it is cooked to order. He has employees that have been learning from him for eight years, so trusts them also to do things correctly. He was very clear about making sure that the menu and quality is identical at both sites.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Had lunch there today. Aircon and fan going. Place very clean. They said they sanitized everything daily. Big menu, ordered chicken marsala tika, very good but expensive for what you get. Pay for bread and rice separate. Service excellent, polite, and food served fast enough. Will go back and try another dish.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rush2424

rush2424 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Today we ordered 2 different dishes. The quantity was good and the quality was ok. Meaning not bad but for sure not on a high level. The naan bread was not good at all. As the Indian food is one of my favorite, I will go to Biryani Point again. Giving them a second chance by choosing different dishes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. btd

btd DI Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 1
    PS: The restaurant remains open :woot:

• Like Like x 1
  8. btd

btd DI Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 1
    100% Agree. I've tried all Indian restaurants in Cebu City and a couple in Manila widely regarded as the best in the city. IMO, the taste of the food at Biryani Point even tops all of those. What a blessing for fans of Indian food. And right here in the Dumaguete area of all places.

• Like Like x 1