Dumaguete Info Search

Blood donating ? be prepared.

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by jellyfish, Mar 28, 2011.

1. xhippie

xhippie DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +27 / 7
    does AB pos qualify as a rare type here as much as it does in the states??

2. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Does this mean RED CROSS dont have stock of blood here, I mean on this city? Thats scary!!! or no blood bank here in Dumaguete? I myself was not allowed to donate beacuse the doctor said I went to this island within 3 months before ...Puerto galera and coron island. Wew! I dont get it that time.

3. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

It gets worse..

Welcome to Dumaguete!

:D

4. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    it does...

5. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi y'all,
    I'm A neg, and would gladly donate blood, but where can i do this in cebu or in Dumaguete . . If the blood is sold, to needy individuals, do i get paid ?

6. OP
    OP
    jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    You can donate your blood in any hospital in any town.
    I'm not sure if the hospital is paying you i.c. you go there for a normal (non urgent) donation but I guess they will, since the receiver has to pay the hospital when blood is given to him/her out of 'their own stock'.
    My experiences are based on requests from relatives of the person needing blood and one time my partner needed blood for an operation where the hospital told us not to have (enough) blood in store ('out of stock').
    We had to find a donor ourself in that case and paid the donor 1500 pesos, which price was agreed between both parties (no fixed prices exist i.m.o.).
    I never asked money in case I donated myself but won't condemn others who do.

7. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Jellyfish

Thanks for your message,
    I'll go and donate some of my precious red stuff for sure. And yes i will do it for free, i was merely speculating whether it would be a little earner in the future, should i fall on hard times !!
    If u need any of my red stuff, let me know . . !

8. RALPHHOGAN

RALPHHOGAN DI Member

Diver
    Ratings:
    +32 / 1
    What a terrible twist of fate that Jellyfish (John Kreemers ) passed away due, to a large degree, to a shortage of available blood as well as the assinine hospital proceedures that John spoke about in this post. John was one of the most helpful, conscientious people I have known. RIP.

9. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    That's very sad, I never met John but had several posts together here on Di. My most sincere condolences for John and My best wishes to his family.
    Ron

10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I find it unethical that Silliman allows a blood agent to be present at the hospital, as opposed to a blood bank, and the agent demands p12,000 to bring in a donor for a dying patient. Sadly, by the time the agent brought in a donor, it was unnecessary.
    At the hospital last night, the medical staff was saying, "we need blood now", but there wasn't any available. There were some extremely great DI members who came in to donate and we should be very proud of them, and also the young man Rhoody found with Type A- who donated. Just wasn't enough.

In September when my wife required a C-section to deliver our baby, there was no supply of backup type O+ blood, a very common blood type. They held up the surgery until I could find a worker at the hospital and pay him (1500) to donate blood.

So I guess the answer is, if you are fortunate enough to make it to Cebu or Manila for treatment, go for it rather than here, sadly.