Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Borax Powder

1. kaayo

kaayo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    A couple of years ago, I just bought borax at Lee Plaza (impossible to find boric acid in DGT). Mixed with sugar and powdered coffee creamer and water, it really knocked out a couple of colonies at mama's house, but a different colony was unaffected. I suspect the difference is between sweet ants and grease ants. Here in the US, I've also mixed boric acid (from Walmart) with peanut butter (grease) and it works on some ants that sugar doesn't.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. berndtravel

berndtravel DI Junior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Had some years ago same problem and used with success Diatomaceous Earth ( not Food grade) , ordered at Lazada.

some of my own notes of that time may help::::

quote “ Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Powder - Safe for Children & Pets

Pest control Grade is used for fighting off ticks, fleas, ants etc. and filter swimmingpools.

required by law to have a food grade label and a pest control label to meet the regulations of both the FDA and the EPA.

also required to recommend the food grade label for any internal uses ????.

Internal parasites ??? can be controlled by giving Diatomaceous Earth internally ???.

It is very important to note that it must be food grade –

the earth used in gardens and pool filters can damage your dog.

Make sure you purchase and use food grade DE only.

DE can cause irritation on the lungs

so please ensure you and your dog don’t inhale

or the cheap “1.2.3 powder Insectterminator from FEMAS Agrivet

or Boric acid BORAX"

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    The trick is, the ants returning to the nest do carry traces of the mix (borax with..) and thus transmitting what's still living in the nest including the queen. Once the queen has been erased no new ants until a new queen will rise up and the battle start all over again. Like @okiebound says, it's an ongoing, never ending battle, you cannot win as only try to keep it under control as much as possible.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Brezer

Brezer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 1
    Back home I had major fire ant issues and an old farmer told me about using grits to kill them. Sprinkle grits around the ant nest in a circle and they will take it down. Once the queen eats the grits they are supposed to swell in her and kill her. I don't know if that's what does it but it does clear the nests out. I used it for years to clear them out of my yard and pasture. If your from Texas of Oklahoma you know its just a stop gap because they always move from your neighbors property but it does work. Might be worth a try here if you know where but with there being so many different type of ants there is no telling.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 17
    I found some at JB Marketing...down the road from BI office.
    1kg bag of borax for 125 php
    It is with the fertilizers, bottom shelf

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +419 / 198
    Try baking soda and sugar - mix equal parts and leave in a shallow container on the ant trail. Also around nest entrance if you know where it/they is/are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1