Dumaguete Info Search

BORING AULD BAR STEWARDS

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by DAVE1952, Dec 16, 2023.

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    DI, Used to be very interesting to me at one time, especially when I joined in 2017, many of the members of that time are still here, but now it is a whole lot different, most of the members from that time have become Boring Auld Bar Stewards with very little to say?

Also there is not all that many new members, I do know for a fact that there is members that only view the site and make no contribution to it, never to post, this I do not understand? mind you maybe it is better they keep their mooths shut and naebody wid ken thur jist stupid?

I do know and have met quite a few of our members personally and mostly they all complain that there is not much going on here and they are starting to lose interest in the site. This is all so daft to me as it is so easy to start a thread here or as I did the other day to post to an existing old thread from 6yrs ago. I see no reason not to resurrect some of these old but quite interesting threads and bring them up to date?

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,870 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My first ever post on this forum . 2007 10 years before ye ald bar steward.
    ⌛ newbie

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Jim I'm just having a little fun with this, but it is true what I say don't you think? as for yourself you have always been a fairly regular contributor and for many years, but many that I know to be still around seem to have given up, to keep an interest going new threads must be created, John seems to do well at this, we should all follow his example.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,007 / 1,093
    You are an Oldie! My 1st post via another User name was August 2010. Those were the days Rhoody would come on here drunk and rip every one to bits...lol

Also agree with Dave, but Forums and the next generation are at odds with each other, As for the loyalist old timers, none of us getting any younger. Still there is a vast amount of information on the Forum and most the Foreigners I meet in Dumaguete have never heard of the Forum. It really could use some sharing and exposure, but for so many Peoples they care about only their own content. Cheers to all!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,212 / 1,089
    :bag:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    Thank you.
    Couldn't agree more.

I know for sure that many really interesting people are around and following up this forum more or less on a regular basis. All of these guys have a lot to say and certainly could contribute a lot of remarkable opinions and experiences build up during their long stay in the Philippines.

Recently a thread came up where you had three wishes. Well, I would trade in my desired bottle of Lagavulin for more participation and traffic here in this wonderful forum.

Exchanging opinions and within and participate in a civilized discussion is wonderful and I do enjoy it. Mutual respect and manners are a must. Needless to say.

Come on gentlemen, let's chat around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 230
    Dear Moderator's
    I can understand people not contributing to subjects they are not familiar with, as a non resident of Duma/Negros I can't relate to a lot of subject matter.
    Having only visited Dumaguete a couple of times, my local knowledge is limited, my interest from the beginning was finding some of the places of interest during a few days visiting my inlaws when in Philippines. Sadly my brother-in law died and the family living in Siquijor means the likely hood of visiting again is less likely.
    I would like to think that I built a few friendships from members through the forum.
    And although we might not meet again in person, will remain in my thoughts and prayers.
    My personal contributions mainly to the "Off Topic" forum is to bring subjects and matters which otherwise would not be discussed and to try engage peoples opinions on the various subjects.
    I'm sure had I chosen to live in Dumaguete or the surrounding Area's I would find plenty to photograph and report on to draw peoples attention.
    One thing that comes to mind why do you think the students attending the local University don't take an interest in the forum?
    Those who are critical of people and the surrounding areas could try to encourage more conversation with the locals as to how improve the environment etc and at the same time get involved with projects they could report on, in the forum.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  8. OP
    OP
    DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    John, I know you will think I'm being all to critical of Filipinos as you wish to see the best in everyone, I think you look at the Philippines from the perspective of a person that has had a few holidays here and to be fair most people coming here for a short duration Holiday will have a good impression of the native people, it really is the land of smiles, mostly the people here are friendly towards Foreigners, their ability to speak English does help with this.

Most Ex-pats that have been living here for a longer term such as myself will agree; that this really is the land of the stupid, most Students here in a University would be right out of their depth on any Foreigners Forum, for sure they will have been born with the same ability to learn as you and I or anyone else on DI, but the standard of education here will have wrecked their intelligence.

Yes there will be many students that have passed out with their degrees, likely the pass rate is that much higher there than in the western world? party through corruption, as degrees can be bought, but also to fail them may show up just how bad the education standard is here and give a poor reflection on their Teachers as their degrees were likely to have been attained by dubious means?

A University Graduate from UK has a good chance to find work in their speciality worldwide, but I would very much doubt if this would be possible for a Graduate from a PH University?

This really is the land of the Stupid!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
  9. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    That´s a good point.
    It certainly makes a huge difference whether you are living permanently in the Philippines or beeing on vacation. Life is different. Entirely.

Myself I try to manage a 6 / 6 life and of course I am more active here in the forum when I am in Duamguete. Back in Germany there are plenty other things that keep me busy. I follow the forum from time to time, but I am not really active.

Good question.
    I assume students and expats have entirely different backgrounds and interests. Not to mention a difference in age of some 40 to 50 years to most of us expats.
    We elderly guys, some call us bar stewards :smile: have entirely daily routines and life styles. We are talking about where and how to build houses and purchase properties and cars for millions of Pesos, where to find the best T - Bone steak and how to set up a solar system. That might be not on the top of list of subjects students like to talk about.

In my opinion the door is open and everybody who shows respect is much welcome. It might be interesting to learn the point of view from local students as well as from students from Korea or China. I would be eager to learn how this people are looking to us elderly guys from western countries.

Question is hw can we manage to make this forum more attarctive for younger people.
    Have to admit I don´t have an answer.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    Dave, you are entirely right. I think most of us who are living permanently here would agree on your opinion.

Nevertheless I could imagine it would be interesting to have kind of communication with younger people with different backgrounds and different point of views. You can learn from everybody and by the way, what can we loose ?

One reason participation in this forum is not extremely high might be that for most of us everything is said already. I am since 15 years in the Philippines. During this time I did read, in different forums, probably 2.500 threads about building a house, setting up electricity systems and another 5.500 threads with the subject where to find the cheapest beer or best burger. It is not really thrilling anymore, only talking for myself. Despite the fact that I am still learning from this kind of threads.

I assume younger people providing us with their point of views, experiences and their daily needs could be a win win situation. It would certainly enrich the forum and certianly all of us could learn. Don´t forget they have to manage a daily life as we do and it would be interesting to find out how they are doing that.

• Agree Agree x 4