Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: BORING AULD BAR STEWARDS

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,563 / 1,017
    IMO, age is a greater concern for a president than their "perceived" smarts or lack of. Of course, if a president is long on age and short on smarts, that would be hard to hide.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,212 / 1,089
    Yep and most of the bad comments knocking the Filipinos are coming from you and This does get Boring cos we have heard them all before:bag:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    I am not sure whether the term "stupid" would be the best one to describe most of philipino people.
    I would prefer to use uneducated, untutored, unaccomplished.

Almost every day I can see things going on in the Philippines when I can only shake my head and wondering how the f... is that possible, why they are doing that and so on. I assume everybody knows that as well.

On the other hand I experience a huge amount of creativity when it comes to problem solving. When I had workers at my place they always got a solution for everything. I experienced that as well when I talk to other expats. They had any problem, they called somebody and he fixed it.

Hence I wouldn´t say Philipinos are stupid in general. They got different skills than expats from the west. You cannot compare a guy from London, Glasgow, Munich or New York who got a high school or even university degree with a guy from a local community here in the Philippines who went maybe 2 years to school to practise singing, clapping and praying in a first place. But who is more fit for daily life in the Philippines ?

From my point fo view philipino people carrying a lot of potential with them. Unfortunately the education syste of the government is not supporting that at all. Hence nothinh will change cause the powerful fraction in the Philippines doesn´t want changes.

"You keep them poor - I keep them ignorant" said the pope to the president.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +139 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I believe diet also plays into this as a giant bowl of rice with a little piece of fish does not provide healthy nutrients for developing a healthy brain...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 230
    It's true that as a visitor you do see things in a somewhat different perspective,
    ( Rose colour glasses ) however having been married to a filipina 20 years and visiting the P.I. since 2000, I see changes that may well go unnoticed by living in one spot.
    I have visited many of the islands enough to realise for the poor little changes.
    I am aware as to what Dave has said also, regarding education standards in PH.
    However necessity is the mother of invention and there is still lots to learn being here ( PH )
    Informative postings about house building , projects under taken such as fish farming, vegetable and gardening in a sustainable way, these things are of great interest to those wanting to learn from more experience Expats and Locals.
    But to be honest, I don't see much enthusiasm coming through from ( Auld Bar stewards )
    a lot of the members. Perhaps I'm wrong to say that, maybe some people just want to live a quiet life and let the world go bye.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    That´s a good point.
    It certainly makes a huge difference whether you are living permanently in the Philippines or beeing on vacation. Life is different. Entirely.

Myself I try to manage a 6 / 6 life and of course I am more active here in the forum when I am in Duamguete. Back in Germany there are plenty other things that keep me busy. I follow the forum from time to time, but I am not really active.

Good question.
    I assume students and expats have entirely different backgrounds and interests. Not to mention a difference in age of some 40 to 50 years to most of us expats.
    We elderly guys, some call us bar stewards :smile: have entirely daily routines and life styles. We are talking about where and how to build houses and purchase properties and cars for millions of Pesos, where to find the best T - Bone steak and how to set up a solar system. That might be not on the top of list of subjects students like to talk about.

In my opinion the door is open and everybody who shows respect is much welcome. It might be interesting to learn the point of view from local students as well as from students from Korea or China. I would be eager to learn how this people are looking to us elderly guys from western countries.

Question is hw can we manage to make this forum more attarctive for younger people.
    Have to admit I don´t have an answer.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    Thank you.
    Couldn't agree more.

I know for sure that many really interesting people are around and following up this forum more or less on a regular basis. All of these guys have a lot to say and certainly could contribute a lot of remarkable opinions and experiences build up during their long stay in the Philippines.

Recently a thread came up where you had three wishes. Well, I would trade in my desired bottle of Lagavulin for more participation and traffic here in this wonderful forum.

Exchanging opinions and within and participate in a civilized discussion is wonderful and I do enjoy it. Mutual respect and manners are a must. Needless to say.

Come on gentlemen, let's chat around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Jim I'm just having a little fun with this, but it is true what I say don't you think? as for yourself you have always been a fairly regular contributor and for many years, but many that I know to be still around seem to have given up, to keep an interest going new threads must be created, John seems to do well at this, we should all follow his example.

• Agree Agree x 2