Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery Bread Flour or Wholemeal Flour

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by artpepper88, Dec 14, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    artpepper88

artpepper88 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    Davy, deciphering the receipt possibly reveals that the multigrain flour (looking dark and dirty in my machine as we speak...) cost 385p for 1kg. My recipe calls for 3 cups, which seems to be about 2/3 of a kg. So the bread's not going to be cheap, but I'm sure it'll be lovely with a poached egg on top. The 'wholemeal' flour seems to cost 145p. Ask me in a week what the bread using that flour was like... And heck, if you're reluctant to come into town, and you live in the north, let me know and maybe we can drop some off to you. We're in Tandayag.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    We found the YanYan flour to be much poorer performing than the flour at the supermarkets, and won't consider using it again. Your results may be different than ours-we just tried their best flour and some wheat flour. The few cents difference in price vs performance isn't worth the trip IMO.

We did make our own oatmeal flour with a bag of Quaker Oats and a food processor btw

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    artpepper88

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    I made a loaf last night using the multigrain flour. Very disappointed - loaf very hard and flat. Tomorrow I'll try one using half multigrain and half white. Gabrielle, I'm not concerned about cost saving, it's just that I couldn't find any flour other than white in any supermarket...

4. Steffe

Steffe DI New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Hello
    Flour for bread need a high gluten content to rise poroperly and get a fluffy texture.
    When Me and my wife where baking we bought flour at the local market, think we paid about 70 php for a kilo. We made plain white bread frensh type. all by hand kneeding the dow until "theady" then let is rise and kneeded it again and let it rise on the baking plate.. The result was quite good, prettu high bread, atleast double the size as a dow.
    we used bought water, a little olive oil Yeast and flour added about 1 tsp of sugar to give the yeast a good start and some salt.. verry easy and plain frensh bread.. If you put the dow in a form.. you can get a form breadshape like the store bought bread. What we notised is that some yeasy you buy is "OFF" like verry old and porly preforming. Try to make a "sour dow" to have the bread rise better.

Sadly enough we never found any rye flour to try to bake some rye bread.

Perhaps it is possible to buy flour from the local baker shop ?

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Or at least ask, where they buy theirs from

6. OP
    OP
    artpepper88

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    Thanks for the info, Steffy. you and yours are doing it the hard way, by hand... Sounds like you had good results, though... i think I might try buying some newer yeast...

7. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Made by my wife over the last 10 years with Jan- Jan Flour & Yeast. She makes 3 loaves in one bake.
    They stay nice fresh by keeping them in the freezer until use.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    artpepper88

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    Thanks, Mokum. Any idea where I can find Jan-Jan?

9. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Well,I think I know by now ; corner Mabini<> Sta rosa street. Thirth block south of the market.

10. reich31e

reich31e DI Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 12
    I had same experience.....i use not more then 1/5 of grain and 5/4 of wheat flour....maybe 1/4 and 3/4 worked too......