Dumaguete Info Search

Brits say no to staying in the eu

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Sep 6, 2015.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    A majority of voters are ready to vote for Britain to leave the European Union, according to a shock opinion poll.

The Survation poll for The Mail on Sunday found that if a referendum was held tomorrow 51% would vote to quit the EU against 49% who would vote to remain.

The findings run counter to a string of recent polls which have consistently shown comfortable majorities in favour of staying in.

[​IMG]© Provided by Press Association A majority of voters want Britain to leave the EU, a poll suggests
    As recently as July, a Survation poll gave the "in" camp a 54% to 46% advantage.

Politicians will be wary of reading too much into one survey - particularly given the closeness of the margin.

Nevertheless it is likely to set alarm bells ringing in Downing Street ahead of David Cameron's promised referendum - which must take place before the end of 2017.

It will also provide a huge fillip for the "out" campaign ahead of a possible Commons rebellion by Eurosceptic Tories when MPs return to Westminster following the summer break on Monday.

The poll suggested that the margin in favour of leaving could grow if the migrant crisis continues - with 22% of those who said they would vote to stay indicating they could change their minds if the situation worsened.

The poll, of 1,004 people, was carried out by Survation between September 3 and 4.
    Majority of voters back British exit from EU - poll

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Nothing Surprises me anymore but I just cant see the reality in calling this a Proper (Even Shock) Opinion Poll! A poll of just over 1000 from a nation of 70+ million? These will be Mail Readers and whilst it is a great Newspaper, it's Reader Numbers are in the main White Collar. I won't Hold My Breath until we see the Results of Official Polls from across the Board.

JP :pompus:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I already know what I will be voting if I'm still in the UK, even them I think it might be possible to vote proxy, not sure on that one.

4. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    I'm not real familiar with the issues that the UK is facing, however since they are not part of the Schengen Agreement and they do not use the euro it seems to me that they manage to reap the benefits of the free trade area without the issues that much of the rest of Europe face.

What would the benefits of staying in the EU or of leaving it be?

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Too Political a subject for a full answer but to this part I will say, it will do away with trying to serve 2 masters and get rid of Brussels and the Stupid Laws that have constrained the UK:wink:

JP :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Miguel

Miguel DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +109 / 39
    Little Britain never been a loyal member of EU but USAs lapdog and partner in war.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    How very True! We should never have been in the Eu in the First Place but.........................:vomit: Not sure I would say lap dog but certainly sharing the same feeding Bowl.

JP:eek:

8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
  9. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    • Agree Agree x 2