Dumaguete Info Search

Builder Recommendation

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by PatO, Jan 28, 2022.

1. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I have pre-fab walls. Only CHB are septic tank and outside perimeter walls

2. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    duplicate

3. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    curious, where did you acquire those pre-fab walls ?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    The builder has them

5. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    are these precast concrete panels ?

6. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    No Sir your Hoose has been done the correct way and will stand for a long time, CHB is the failure when installed below grade, even an attempt to render it below grade down to the foundation log it would likely be useless as the render would get contaminated down in the foundation trench.

Actually render here is done all wrong from what I have seen? they mix too strong a mortar to render CHB, they never wet the wall first before they start, the use of old cement bags as a measure for the sand is fecking useless also, then to top it all they are still applying the same mix 2 hours after it comes outr the mixer, they just add more water to it to get it pliable again?

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    yes

8. danbandanna

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Would like more info on these, does your builder cast these himself or does he purchase locally... could you list who this builder is as I am interested in precast panels for my projects... thanks Pat

9. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Obviously (see many of Dave's comments), there's lots of things wrong with the way many houses are built here.
    One needs to keep in mind though, that these cheap building methods are mostly applied when the new house serves as a replacement for something far worse (a light materials hut), and that many people here simply can't afford anything more expensive than hollow block combined with as little concrete and rebar as possible.

A suggestion that many/most of the houses built by/for more affluent principals necessarily suffer from the same lack of sturdiness seems too easy though. Yes sure, if the principal doesn't carefully select a trustworthy builder with good recommendations and/or dismisses the need for a good architect/engineer, then you'll end up with an inferior house anyway.
    But it isn't quite the wild west here where anything goes when building a house. For example, Article 1723 of the Civil Code of the Philippines holds the architect (and engineer) who drew up the plans and specifications for the building/structure responsible for damages if within fifteen years from the completion of the building/structure, the same should collapse due to defect in the plans or specifications or defects in the ground. The engineer or architect who supervises the construction shall be jointly liable with the contractor should the edifice collapse due to defect in the construction or the use of inferior materials.
    Needless to say I would put much more effort in selecting a good builder and architect than put my trust in the law, but still, the liability thing under the law must make architects and builders think twice about the quality of their work.

10. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I think the error a fair few expats make is taking recommendations from people that don't know if a house is built well or not.

Also if looking at a finished project it all looks shinny and new.

If choosing a local builder I would look at several houses under construction and in different stages of the build. Also houses that are finished at least 5 years ago, give you a better idea of quality. If you don't understand building methods employ someone that does and take them with you when you look at these houses before selecting the builder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022