Dumaguete Info Search

Building vs buying?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by devildog4, May 10, 2011.

1. Johannes Chapman

Johannes Chapman One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I read an inquiry as to which is the better option: buying or building a house. My comment comes a bit late and would backtrack us a bit, but it might help to pitch in my 2cents. I live in Cebu but I frequent Dumaguete for a consultancy job that I do. When I arrived here 3 years ago, I had the same dilemma. But to cut the story short, I decided to invest in Cebu, get a property and build a house. The next logical question was: Who will construct it? Someone I met in a business meeting referred me to this guy who at that time just started off his construction business. But the problem was this constructor was based in Dumaguete. It was a good thing that I had to be in Dumaguete a few weeks after that, so I met with this guy. I didn't trust him at first because he was still new, but I thought he had a strong backing with his family name; so I gave it a shot. The planning started off rough and there were several requirements that made me about to give up. His company was thankfully able to process all the necessary papers for, and that got construction works going. What amazed me was from the original agreement of a completion period of 8 months, they managed to finish it before the deadline. (That left me with a month to ponder on looking for a wife to complete the house.haha!) The company name is Fixright but I think they changed it to Solidace construction. Anyway, have a great day.

2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hope they waited at least six weeks for the rendering to dry out before sealing it. Also hope you found your dream wife to take your house from you
    :rolleyes:

3. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Being a bit cynical aren't we Jim

4. White Dragon

White Dragon DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm Building a home in dumaguete

Hello all :-) well i have been there for some time now with my new wife and we have purchased a small piece of land, Finely outside of Dumaguete haha . so now i am back in Canada putting together some money to build our home as i am not retired yet. I have some Construction Background . but i know this is the Philippines so it's a new game for me ahhaha . I have designed our home already and i have the Blue prints .I will need them approved before I build ??? anyone know of an architect that will look at my blueprints and approve then for me without wanting to do all the work ??? and what permits are needed as well ??? . I have had 2 lawyers screw me out of money already and nothing was done ??? anyone there know if we can build up to our property line ?? or do we have to leave some space??? we have to leave at least one Meter here in Canada, but not sure what is required there. there are no buildings next to us. My wife has 2 boy's that are carpenters and third one is an electrical, so the four of us will build it our self. and hire some locals as well. the boy's tell me that the Architects there want to construct the homes so they do not want to approve anything . some Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank's in advance :-):smile:

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    What city is your property in?

6. White Dragon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    we are In Dumaguete In Upper batingal

7. swampstar

swampstar DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How about an engineer instead of an architect? There are plenty of those around and maybe you can find one that will take you through the paperwork too. With your sophistication and crew you don't need an architect. I would imagine someone on this panel could direct you to an engineer and surveyor. Good luck.

8. White Dragon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

9. Fozzboy

Fozzboy DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

if you need any reliable and trustworthy workers, just pm me my wife's relatives are from Batengguel.

hope to meet sometime

Alan:D

10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016