Dumaguete Info Search

can anyone help me with a Huawei router setup?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by kelpguy, Feb 6, 2016.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    hi guys....
    i recently purchased a B683 Huawei router and an antenna and i've been trying to program the router at 192.168.1.1 and having problems. i wrote to the seller and Huawei but i'm not getting much assistance from the seller and Huawei hasn't contacted me in 6 days so...

i thot this would be a plug and play situation but that's not the case. i've got PDF's for the router ''quick start manual'' and the ''setup for network connection'' but i'm confused by terminology like keyword, PIN, wifi key, code and password, tho i thot i knew what a password is but not sure in this situation. i'm also confused by the fone number and more. do i copy the entries in the manual or are those just examples, like a fone number is *99# (???)

i assume the very 1st log in to 192.168.1.1 and password is the for the administrator, if so, i'm wondering how i program the router for other wireless users including myself?

and... under dialup profile management:
    what's the difference between a profile name and user name?

my fone connection is iffy tho i can usually text on weekdays (weekends are iffy) and my current i'net connection has been terrible lately so it might be best for us to meet up somewhere and i'm more than willing to travel. i have a laptop and AC to power the router in my vehicle, so we could meet at some nice shady ocean side location or a restaurant or???

thanks for now...
    norm

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Usually the login details for any new router is admin and admin once you have got to that page via the ip. You should have some details from whoever you're signed up with somewhere also.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
  4. Brian

Brian DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +89 / 20
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Hey Norm, If you have changed any settings i would advise you to do a factory reset.

1-Connect your computer to the modem using wireless or cable connection.
    2-to access the settings page of the B683, type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser and hit enter. enter user name as admin and then password admin.
    3-once you are on the settings page just do the quick setup or find where to create a profile use the right APN, you shouldn't have to worry about a pin number for the sim just leave it blank. Save the profile and you should be good to go.

The password for connecting to the router with wireless should be on the bottom of the modem or on a paper in the modem box.

Tjhese are the APN's that i know of.

Globe APN Settings
    Prepaid APN: http.globe.com.ph
    Postpaid APN: internet.globe.com.ph

Smart Bro APN Settings
    Prepaid APN: smartbro
    Postpaid APN: smartbro

Smart Buddy and Smart Gold APN Settings: internet

Sun Cellular APN Settings for Prepaid
    APN static: minternet
    Authentication: PAP
    IP address: dynamic

Sun Cellular APN Settings for Postpaid
    APN static: fbband
    Authentication: PAP
    IP address: dynamic

It is simple thing to create a profile if you know what your doing, but if you don't it can be a nightmare. I might recommend that you take your modem to the place you purchased your sim to get the tec to set it up for you for the sake of a couple hundred pesos just to get you started. after that you can do research on the internet to learn how to do things for yourself.

For example if you are using prepaid you will have to put a load on every month so it would be to your benefit to learn how to validate the load every month by using the text messaging built into the modem. You could also take your sim out and put it in your phone to validate the load there providing you phone uses a full sized sim. If you can't do this you will have to go to the computer shop every month to have them do this for you.

Good luck Norm hope this helps you out.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    hey guys, thanks for the help!
    well... it took us about 2 weeks of screwing around but i'm happy to say that we got the modem and antenna functioning tho i'm still wondering about programming the modem and/or our computers. we also had a hell of a time getting the wireless set up so my wife can use her tablet but we just keep trying stuff til we got it.

the antenna is temporarily mounted on a 8m bambú pole which is tied to an existing metal mast on the roof of the house. i want to rebuild the existing mast and mount the antenna on it before we try to zero in on the broadcast antenna but for now, we're pointing towards duma from about 11km out and we're getting a steady 3 or 4 bar HSPA+ which is a HUGH improvement over using the ZTE mf180 modem antenna we got from smart a few years back.

i'm not an exspurt but i'll be happy to share what i learned on this adventure, just PM me.

btw, brian...
    the sim cards that smart issues come in 3 pieces so it can be broken down to fit any device. the outside ''frame'' of the sim holder is rather fragile but can be fixed with a piece of cellophane tape.

and you mentioned learning how to buy data with a fone and i found some tutorials on using smart money to buy data here:
    Overview - Smart Money - Smart Communications looks like smart is in the banking business too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Brian

Brian DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +89 / 20
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Hi Norm, good to hear you have your modem up and running.

Connecting your device to your modem is simply making a wifi connection. Search with your device for wifi connections, select your modem from the list of found wifi's, type in the modems password, accept and your connected...

When fine tuning your antenna dont! rely on the signal bars on the modem, the bars are an indication of signal strength but signal quality is what you want to use to ensure you get the fastest data speed. So use Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test to determine the fastest download speed and that is where you want to lock down your antenna. When i get some time i will post a simple antenna guide.

Yes the sim cards can be broken down but once you do and then decide to go back to using the larger sim size by using tape or an adapter you run the risk of catching the device contacts in a groove on the sim or adapter that might result in bending the contacts on the device rendering it useless.

For me from the little i know Smart Money is something i would not subscribe to. It sounds like they want to hold your money so they can collect the interest on it instead of you.
    What i was talking about was purchasing your monthly load at the store then going home and using the sms messaging built into your modem to activate the load so you can use it. Before using the modem sms you will have to set it up by imputing the phone number that is tied with your sim card. If you can send a text (sms) message on your phone you can figure out how to do it on your modem...