Dumaguete Info Search

Question Can Expats Legally Possess an Air Pistol?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by PatO, Jun 12, 2016.

1. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    I went to PNP Headquarters in Aganan when first purchased the pistol (Cebu).I wanted to register it with them, and they told me that it was "not necessary" as it was an air gun and that air guns can be owned by anyone..

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    I agree Jack...I only use it for target practice, and scarring off unwanted dogs and trespassing chickens.. and only when no one else is around...

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Firearm” as herein used, includes rifles, muskets, carbines, shotguns, revolvers, pistols and all other deadly weapons from which a bullet, ball, shot, shall or other missile may be discharged by means of gunpowder or other explosives. The term also includes air rifles and air pistols not classified as toys under the provisions of Executive Order No. 712 dated 28 July 1981. The barrel of any firearm shall be considered a complete firearm.

This is what was still classified as a "firearm"

Republic Act 10591 signed by Aquino set definitions for *small arms* but didn't change the definition at all of *firearm*. Further the newer act repealed section 6 of Republic Act No. 8294 and Presidential Decree No. 1866 section 1, 2, 5, and 7 aren't ones that define *firearm*.

Due to this more then likely the old definition of *firearm* per law found on top would still qualify. This runs into a sticky situation because some of these are no longer being registered I believe but at the same time illegal w/o a license. Sort of falls into a quasi status it looks like and one could argue a speargun is vital for feeding their family and fishing (if a local) and probably get away with it.

However considering a foreigner which was do you think the law will fall? Think we really will get the benefit of the doubt when their is still an open case against us owning any firearm by the old but still valid definition just because the new law defined *small firearm* and established classes but didn't change it?

So unless someone else can find what I may have missed I'd be saying its a good bet that as a foreigner no matter what anyone else says that we as foreigners still can't own an airgun, speargun, crossbow, or a slingshot.

Sorry Pat, time to get rid of that slingshot you been using on the chickens!

4. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    It is, but at a price :smile::smile:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Have a look again. RA 10591 does give a definition for "firearm":
    Republic Act No. 10591 | GOVPH

6. ChMacQueen

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Your right, the reading I looked at lacked that being defined at all but only had a definition of ammunition, small arms, and antique firearm. Odd why that was left out.

Still that definition pretty much takes away everything especially with the addition of "similar instrument or implement" which could be used however they wanted at the time. Kind of the *and whatever else we want when we want it to apply* clause.

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :peeking: Like so many Rules and Regs here though , it depends who is doing the interpretations. :pompus:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ChMacQueen

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    And who they are interpreting against! Your Filipino neighbor could get one interpretation to the exact same issue you have and you'll get another as your a foreigner. And don't you dare challenge them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Really not much up for interpretation here:
    RA 10591
    At least two lawmakers and the PNP chief have stated on record that airsoft guns are currently not regulated under RA 10591...though they wanted that changed.
    This was back in 2014, I couldn't find anything online stating that the proposed House Bill had been passed or even voted on. There has not been a SC ruling on RA 10591 concerning airsoft guns yet either (as there was with the election gun bans under the old law).

Currently, it seems you do not have to register airsoft/airguns rifles and you may own them as a foreigner under the current law. Probably wouldn't be too wise to be carrying them around during any firearm bans or using them in any way that might make someone believe that you are handling a real firearm.

Note: I am not a lawyer and this is not advice.....it is my opinion! Don't come looking for me if my opinion turns out to be sh*t (and it quite frequently is :wink:) and you get yourself in trouble.

• Like Like x 2
  10. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    Expensive

too heavy

too low muzzle velocities. available cal .22 pellets here are heavy, into 19 grains. some are even 21 grains.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1