Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Can someone identify this fish

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I was out today going after juvenile snook and tarpon on ultralights (a ton of fun). Got a bonus tilapia...by far the biggest tilapia I have personally caught.

Shawn
    Tilapia.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  2. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Fishing in PR is a bit interesting. Have yet to catch a peacock bass and I've thrown just about everything I can think of. Was talking with a local when I was packing up today and he said there were a lot of peacock bass in the lake...rub a little salt into the wound.

I did catch a red devil, an Oscar, a couple more of the Jaguar Guaporte and a bunch of little bluegills. Cool I caught a couple I had never caught before (sorry the pic of the Oscar is not the best, the guy I was fishing with left). The bait today...some marked for clearance chicken hotdogs. They don't stay on the hook very well but I've yet to find a bait shop where I can get some worms. 77 cents and 35+ plus fish, it was a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Shawn

Red devil.jpg Oscar.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    After checking I believe you nailed it...I'm a freshwater guy with limited experience on the saltwater side of things. Lovely fish, slammed the lure and put up a nice fight. Was happy to release it to fight another day.

Shawn

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  4. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Fly fishing isn't that hard to master. It is all in the wrist. My uncle trained me when I was young, he could drop it in the fork of a tree from the boat. I learned that too.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Tried out a reservoir today; built in 1946 and was posted to contain LM bass Peacock bass, Channel cats, bluegill and tilapia. My target is Peacock bass, truly fascinated with them. It gets tiring throwing larger plugs, especially prop type top waters.

Took a few “breaks” and pulled out my 6’ ultralight with 4 lb test and my go to for panfish, a 1/16 oz beetle spin. Caught a fish (actually 2 of them) I’d never seen before and a chunky 3/4 lb tilapia.

Unfortunately I was not able to hook a Peacock bass (going back tomorrow), had a few follows, but catching even smallish fish on a nice ultralight is fun.

I think I figured out the first fish...Jaguar Guaporte; not 100% sure though. The second picture is obviously a type of tilapia.

Shawn

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Heres one i caught earlier.

FB_IMG_1590471571046.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Have caught them here in the zambongita area,the colours can vary alot.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Currently in Puerto Rico, with everything going on I've only spent 12 hours total or so with multiple trips trying out the rivers here. Peacock bass, Snook and Tarpon are on my bucket list, unfortunately only explosive strikes and 1 hooked for a minute.

Anyway, did catch a nice little fish on a 1/2 0z shallow running crankbait over a submerged tree, I have no clue what it is...searched but guessing it is a salt water fish that came up into the rivers with the brackish water. Glad I did not lip it as is had impressive teeth...

It was released to live another day. If anyone can identify the fish I would appreciate that.

Shawn
    PR fish.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  9. ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Here is a little fish I caught yesterday, and by little that is an 1/8 oz jighead with a 3" grub in its mouth. I don't believe it is a juvenile tarpon as the lower jaw is straight instead of coming up, the dorsal fin seems to be farther down the back and the lateral line is pronounced compared to other juvenile tarpon I've caught and it did not attempt to jump. In my limited experience, once the tarpon feels the hook it is in the air immediately...

Not sure what the little guy is. Sorry for the bad picture...I try to get them back in the water as soon as I can.

Shawn

Little fish.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The juvenile snook and tarpon were biting quite short today, so not a single one landed. Did catch a nice little 1+pound tilapia. I actually lost one that looked to be pushing 6lbs that broke me off when it ran under the dock.

I've only fished this place a couple times and have yet to catch a tilapia less than a pound...which is quite nice as tilapia go. I've caught tilapia in other reservoirs in Puerto Rico but this place seems to have some jumbos. Looks to be my Saturday spot until I finish my current project in a couple months.

Shawn
    Tilapia 2.jpg

• Like Like x 2