Dumaguete Info Search

Canadian Marrying a Filipina Divorce Papers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Canadianized, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Hyaku

Hyaku DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 3
    Wherever you marry you will need certification to say you are free to marry again. Your Consul/Embassy handle that here through your own Registry of Births Deaths and Marriage. Here is complicated. Best wait or marry in another country or after you return.

2. gord

gord DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★ No Ads ★ Showcase Reviewer ✤✤Forum Sponsor✤✤ Forum Sponsor

businessman
    Ratings:
    +155 / 13
    I am Canadian too. Divorced over 20 years ago. I had to go to the Canadian embassy and get the legal capacity to marry. I did need to produce my divorce papers there to obtain it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. PIfan

PIfan DI Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 9
    The USA Consulate just asks if you have the divorce decree, nothing more. You can go to Hong Kong and get married and save yourself a lot of hassles

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Do you have any information you can share on paperwork required, time in HK, and cost to get married there?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Many that are married here go through the whole ceremony, and furnish all the required documents, complete filling out the correct marriage license information.

However to solve the "no divorce" concept in the Philippines should there be a problem, they do not file the final papers. The papers can be filed much later if everything works as planned, if things do not work out then separation/divorce is not even a requirement for splitting up, as there was no legal marriage. A lawyer with some balls (if not removed by his last wife) can explain the concept to you in more depth. I do not mean to be a pessimist but as noted here many have tried to have a "forever" marriage and it just does not work for them, no reason not to be prepared for all the situations that may arise.

How many Filipino couples do you know that introduced them as married but will eventually admit that they really not not formally married? They use the same system I am explaining to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am not coming at this from the "marriage insurance" aspect although I know many are concerned about it. I am looking for alternatives to the time and fees incurred with filling out forms and supplying documents (including divorce) to finally get to the marriage license stage here. My thinking is why spend $2,000 (no idea what the real amount would be) and 6 months banging my head against Philippine processes if for the same amount I could go to Hong Kong for a week, get married and have a honeymoon? So, a lot of fees and processing time vs vacation.

Hmmm, maybe I am getting far enough away from this older thread I should start a new one.

7. filmguy

filmguy DI Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 7
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Take a 3 day vacation and marry her in Hong Kong . Less hassle and no record of it in the philippines

8. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    I am also a Canadian. Take her there on a visitor's visa (or fiance). Once there she can do an affidavit of eligibility to marry. Your 2 divorces will be in the registrar computer. Marry her there. Simple....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    In a rush? :bored:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Nope, as a finance/accounting guy I am looking for the biggest bang for my buck (highest return on investment). Long drawn out paperwork and extra fees vs. quick and easy plus a vacation. Why wouldn't you pick option 2?

• Agree Agree x 1