Dumaguete Info Search

Candau-ay Dumpsite On Fire

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Rye83, Apr 9, 2016.

1. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    There is probably enough empty plastic coke bottles at this dump that they could put this fire out with an innovative water drip system.

For those who are scratching your head at this one, it's an inside joke.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Yeah, the citizenry will get right on that. Just as soon as they are done burning their own trash in front of their houses. Maybe it's better they burn all the trash in one spot rather than little trash burn piles all over the city.

Burning trash is more fun anyways. Small trash, not so much. But disposing of a bed or a car is fun for the whole neighborhood.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Actually this one is not a joke, go in for extension today, come back tomorrow for change, your passport, and receipt (yup, not even a receipt for your payment until the next day!).

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yep. It looks like I'm fine-tuning my expectations from your daily living experiences in Duma.

GEEZ! Some days, I even get frustrated just reading this needless madness many have to go through.

So I'm getting to the point now of getting my brain to anticipate needless delays, to take deep breaths, don't blow up ( which won't do any good anyway), and just TRY to develop more patience with all these needless hurdles.

I'm also learning how to "CYA" (mine), and understand that some things (many actually) may take WAY longer to finalize than what I think!

It's a good thing you all are communicating with each other on/about these situations. This is a GREAT "heads up" website.

My thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and experience!

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Like Like x 1
  6. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My "secret" is to have absolutely no expectations, and remind myself that I am rich in time and I am here to enjoy life. I always have the option to leave so if I choose to stay, as a guest I am accepting the "house rules" of my host. Acceptance = Happiness, Frustration = Stress, I choose to be happy. (Don't worry, be Happy...)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I thought this thread was about the dump site, or am I missing something. Where is all the garbage going whilst the dumpsite is on fire.

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Damned Good Question :thumbsup: it must be somewhere as they are still Collecting.:nailbiting:

9. AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Maybe they are trying to put out the fire by dumping the recently collected garbage on it, wonder why that isn't working? haha

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    A landfill fire occurs when waste disposed of in a landfill ignites and spreads. In landfills that do not cover their waste with daily cover, biological decomposition creates substantial heat and can cause material in the landfills to spontaneously combust.[citation needed] In the U.S. 40% of landfill fires are attributed to arson.[1]

Landfill fires are especially dangerous as they can emit dangerous fumes from the combustion of the wide range of materials contained within the landfill. Subsurface landfill fires also, unlike a typical fire, can not be put out with water. They are similar to coal seam fires and peat fires. Oxygen intrution control is the best method to prevent and fight subsurface landfill fires. "Fuel quenching", by allowing landfill gas build-up, can work well, especially in conjunction with maintenance of the daily cover of soil or material places on landfills.

Nearby streams can be threatened by leachate pools which may form if water is used to extinguish fires in landfills. There is also the danger that the landfill's membrane, a barrier placed under most modern landfills to prevent contamination of the underlying ground, will be destroyed or penetrated by the fire itself. Normally this liner prevents harmful liquids contained within the landfill from escaping into the groundwater and nearby streams. Destruction of the liner therefore leads to serious environmental problems.

I wonder if they "ever" do the daily cover ? Have they ever covered it at all ? Ever ?

Daily cover
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Daily cover is the name given to the layer of compressed soil or earth which is laid on top of a day's deposition of waste on an operational landfill site. The cover helps prevent the interaction between the waste and the air, reducing odors and enabling a firm base upon which vehicles may operate. Work at the Fresno Sanitary Landfill was instrumental in establishing the need and utility of daily cover.

While soils are the traditional materials employed in daily cover, alternative options such as "green waste",[1] mixtures of paper sludge and tire derived aggregate (TDA) have displayed mechanical characteristics desirable for daily cover. When compared to traditional soil layers, the paper sludge paste was 2-3 times lighter, at least two orders of magnitude more impermeable, and comparable in shear strength.[2]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1