Dumaguete Info Search

Cataract surgery

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by RR_biker, Jun 30, 2023.

1. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +752 / 109
    Can anyone recommend from his own experience, so not hear from the grapevine, the hospital and eye doctor to have that surgery done in the Dumaguete area.

2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Had one eye done in February this year at Holy child Hospital, recommend Dr Cinko. Going to have my other eye done with him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My neighbour had eye surgery done not long ago but went to Bacolod to have it done. It probably depends on the type of surgery whether it's possible/advisable to have it done here.

4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 241
    My father in law has cataracts and is looking for a surgeon. He went to the ACES Eye for diagnosis. They want a little over $100k php per eye, reduced by half with Philhealth insurance. Looking for recommendations. Is the price in the ballpark or high? I looked a little on the internet and it seems high. Thanks.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  5. Dutchie

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    In Europe cataract surgery would set you back around €2,000 per eye (so 120k peso), including extensive diagnostic tests, but excluding regular hospital charges (room/board) for a few days, if that would be deemed necessary.
    100k seems way overpriced for here, but I fear that shopping around won't help much.

6. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    In Canada it depends on the category of lens they put in. The price in Canada ranges from free to $2,000 per eye for top quality lenses.

Do the Philippines even offer a choice of lens?

7. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,398 / 1,263
    I've had lens implants in both eyes. The first eye was done in Canada about 16 years ago. It was a simple no frills lens. It still works well.
    About 5 years ago I had a lens implant in Cebu. My choice was a multi~focal lens with the an added feature, the lens was also a torrid (sp) lens which is supposed to correct the astigmatism that I didn't know I had. In hindsight I feel I was sold a bunch of BS.
    The multi~focal lens is not very good at any distance. Now that I'm totally disillusioned with the multi~focal lens I am questioning wether or not I even had an astigmatism
    My thoughts are just get a simple cheap lens. If you have a bad astigmatism buy a pair of glasses to fix it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, mono lens and bi-focal len the latter cost over double. I paid 47k one eye.(MONO-LENS) Just means I need reading glasses. With Bi-focal you won't need reading glasses.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Private message sent.

10. Dutchie

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I used to have varifocal glasses for a while before switching to single purpose ones. My reason to switch back to the "old-fashioned" technology was simple, I do most of my reading on a computer screen these days, and other than a book that screen isn't in my lap, but in front of me on the desk. I got annoyed at having to tilt my head slightly backward all the time in order to use the lower part of the glasses while using the computer.
    Now the wife often reminds me to wear the other glasses when preparing to drive the car, but that's a lot less annoying than the varifocal thingies.

• Like Like x 1