Dumaguete Info Search

Cataract surgery

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by RR_biker, Jun 30, 2023.

1. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Far as I can gather. He had only one eye done 65k including eye drops.
    And 350 for one eye check up. What I don't understand why go to a different hospital for eye check up.

2. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    How long do you have to use these drops after the op.?

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

3. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Until they are used up. There was three different ones, had to put them in the eye every hour for the first two days, then 3 times a day. (awake times only)

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +752 / 109
    Lot of questions and more.
    The surgery for one eye was done in Holy Child hospital by Dr. Cinco for 65k.
    Since I live on the north side of Dumaguete, Polymedic hospital is much easier to get to than Holy Child, not to mention the limited parking options @HC which are abundant @Polymedic.
    Dr. Cinco also has consultation hours @Polymedic reason why I prefer to go there for control and check up rather than to HC.
    The 350 peso was just the consultation fee.
    Dr. Cinco gave me two different eye drops, now 4 times a day.
    Tomorrow, Wednesday, July 19, another control and check up @ Polymedic,
    I will hear how to continue with the eye drops.
    Most likely till they are finished, as I suppose.
    Hope everything clarified by now and no more confusion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  5. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +263 / 48
    One of my eyes went slightly blurry after about 2 weeks. May have been the eye drops not sure (listed as a side effect). Anyway, after about a month or so after taking the drops....it got better. Now, a year later still very good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,180 / 233
    I am starting with Cataracts but in the early stages, my left eye which is need of a Cornea replacement has been deferred while my right eye continues to be reasonably good.
    After my last eye test I tried variable lens which turned out to be of little use, as previously already said, tilting ones head to get the right angle becomes a nuisance, I will try bifocal lenses next time, meanwhile gone back to readers and driving glasses.
    I use dry eye drops throughout the day which helps and different type of drops last thing at night.
    My friend had his Cataracts done a while back, a very short operation lasting approximately 25 minutes each time, three weeks apart, since then his eye sight is excellent, however he finds bright sunlight harsh and tends to wear sunglasses , this was done free of charge in UK- NHS......long may it last

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 241
    I'm curious how the surgery is generally paid for. Is it cash or can it be a credit card? Do they give you a cash discount? Thanks.

8. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Had mine done at Holy child, wouldn't accept credit card and no discount for cash. Maybe other hospitals differ.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I had my surgery done in the UK, NHS I had returned from living in PH for 3 years and seemingly the high UV there had accelerated the Cataract growth? I did not realise just how bad my eyesight was, only when I arrived home and tried driving was I to then realise just how bad I really was.

Next day I was at the Optician for testing and they were amazed at just how bad I was and how I had let it go this far, I think they said I was -16? they had a direct link into the NHS system and had me booked in for testing, from start to finish the whole process from this point until post op on both eyes had taken 8 months, the NHS had such a backlog all my appointments were done on Sundays as were the operations.

Normally there is a 6 week wait between the time of the Op on the first and second eye, however I was told that being so bad they would do this after only 3 weeks, this 3 weeks was terrible for me and I had to go around with my bad eye closed or else I was getting double vision, when I had a drink or two I would forget this and it was causing me to Pee my pants? when I went to the toilet and had taken out my Dick I would see two of them a big one and a little one,,,,, well I knew the big one was not mine and put it back and then Pee my pants.

The night before the first Op I hardly slept a wink worrying about the discomfort of this Op, I was told they stick a needle in your eye? Now this happens to be true in some cases? it all depends on the Surgeons preference some do and some don't, I had it done by two different Surgeons one used the needle prep and the other didn't, no matter what method they use? IT IS COMPLETLY PAINLESS as they have administered an anaesthetic eye drop that numbs the eye before the Op and before the injection, during the Op the overhead lights are so glaring bright you cannot determine which tools they are using whether it would be a hammer or a chisel (I think they use these tools in PH for this Op) no matter what you will never know? Post Op is also quite painless, only it takes a while for the newly operated eye to adjust to brightness and in the first few days you cannot even look up at a grey sky, but you adjust to this quite soon after only days rather than weeks.

My first eye was done a few days before the 25th of Dec and they had the Radio on in the surgery playing Christmas songs, from start to finish I could only remember hearing 3 or 4 songs I would imagine that being less than 15mins, when the surgeon said to me I am done I was so surprised that I had to ask him to repeat what he said, he then went on to say; you are all done your new plastic lens is fitted and you can open your eye when you wish, thinking to make a joke of this I said; did you remember to leave a little hole in the middle that I can see through, Being and Englishman (what can one expect) he did not get it? and replied by saying; Sir it is a clear Lens and you will be able to see through it perfectly well. As the Nurse was wheeling me away in a wheelchair her and I had a good laugh about this, being Scottish she got it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  10. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,180 / 233
    That's funny Dave.
    When I went for my eye test at the Eye Clinic, the nurse said look at screen and tell me the smallest line you can read.
    Like you I made a joke by saying.....at the bottom of the screen,
    "made in China" some people just dont have a good sense of humour.