Dumaguete Info Search

CDC's New Symptoms

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Happy Camper, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I sought advice from a plumber and was informed a new washer could solve the problem - my wife does that, so why change her I thought.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Not really comparable:

Diabetes is a very serious problem and, as far as I understand it, people need to change their diets to help avoid it in many cases. But it does not rapidly spread (is not contagious) and so does not overwhelm hospitals in the short-term).

TB is a very serious illness and accounts for about 1.5 million deaths per year, but there is a vaccine already and, as it is a bacterium and not a virus, antibiotics can be used. Most infections become latent and these people are not spreaders. It does not overwhelm hospitals in the short-term.

Malaria is a major world problem but there are treatments available and new methods of prevention being used. But it does not rapidly spread (is not as contagious as Covid-19 as it needs a vector) and so does not overwhelm hospitals in the short-term).

The cost of Covid-19 per person does not take account of the even greater cost if the virus was allowed to spread unchecked, the fact that it could mutate (not a particular problem for diabetes, malaria or TB) and kill millions (even mutating to kill the young on whom the economy depends) and the fact that it overwhelms hospitals.

From a local perspective we see restrictions on the economy and education which are unnecessary (IMO) in most places as the country is composed of many separated and easily isolated islands. This is not the case in every country. In some countries very bad decisions have been made by people in power who have no knowledge and very little brains.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I think the WHo were obliged to follow their protocols and guidelines laid down for pandemic declaration. They got caught with a rapidly developing problem which simply overwhelmed their ability to warn properly and its easy now to blame them for that in hindsight. Maybe now they need to go back and review their check points because clearly this time, they didn't work but again, a hindsight critisism.

4. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    They are suppose to be the world's experts. The best the world has to offer. They and Dr. Fucci and the CDC and many others. For the past 4 months we have seen their 'flip flop' on many aspects; mask are not necessary, then, yes they are......it's asymptomatic, no, yes......the virus stays active on surfaces for 72 hours, nope, just a few, nope, no on-surface transmission......no asymptomatic transmission, yes, no, yes but it's rare..........
    Sorry, but in my mind, too many wrong guesses.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  5. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    And they surely must have done modelling for this type of pandemic - surely! Even the UK government did one, in 2018, found the systems lacking and then put the report under the carpet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Mr Philpots - you are just too kind. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Philpots

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Not really, just realistic. The WHO has to follow guidelines. They cant just make things up as they go along because that way even worse mistakes can happen Protocols have to be followed, but protocols must be reviewed in the light of recent experiences and I am absolutely sure the WHO will carry out those reviews.

8. Philpots

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I think you are following the alternative line spouted by those who want to let some leaders off the hook. The doctor you refer to has stated as follows ....

"Another rumor about the efficacy of wearing masks during the COVID-19 coronavirus disease pandemic made the rounds in June 2020, a topic we have debunked numerous times at Snopes. A “60 Minutes” interview from early March 2020 with Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the leading members of President Donald Trump’s coronavirus task force, was being regurgitated on social media. In the segment, Fauci said there was no reason people in the U.S. needed to wear a mask.

The problem? That clip is old, and Fauci was simply echoing what many others argued at that time, including the U.S. Surgeon General, the World Health Organization (WHO), and The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Since then, Fauci’s views and that of most organizations have changed, as more information became available about the disease."

........ and for the past three months he has recommended very strongly the use of masks and is being ignored by most of those republicans in power. Now isnt that strange?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I know you are very serious about this crisis but surely you would have expected the WHO (not pop group) to have modeled for this scenario. Many knew it was coming - and so the WHO should have been at the very top of the list for preparation - which means thinking in advance. Military all over the World have their targets planned in a host of countries, their supply routes figured out - i.e. they plan ahead.

Actually, come to think of it, the WHO (the pop group) could have done a better job!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    What you say is very true but it raises a question. Why would they say masks would not help? My guess (repeat GUESS) is there were not enough masks to go around and there would have been pandemonium, look at the toilet paper crisis.

The song "My Generation" by The WHO could be the theme song for some of the youth (covid party goers).

People try to put down.
    Just because we get around.
    You are old, you're so cold.
    Hope I die before I get old.

Some of them are getting their wish.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1